Chapter 23

•••••

•••••

Another act a friend would do.

•••••

Today wasn't a good day.

The Recon Corps found out that they'd have to take Eren to another hearing, and all I could do was stay in the infirmary.

Sure, my legs were broken, but I still desperately wanted to go along with Ace and the others. They were planning something to get Eren out, he told me that. I wanted to contribute, but with these weak legs of mine, I wouldn't be sent out any soon.

Eren came in here beforehand, and he kept telling me about the meeting they had before. They were trying to find the identity of the female Titan, and they had a lead.

Eren wouldn't tell me, and I had to beg for him to do so. He finally told me that everyone believed that Annie was the female Titan.

I figured it was her.

This may seem bad, since I'm her friend, but I suspected her from the beginning. The fighting style was the same, and the female Titan and her look pretty much alike. That wasn't enough to convince me, but I did have my suspicions.

When Eren explained all the evidence to me, which was provided by Armin, I was definitely convinced. Eren seemed hesitant to believe that the whole thing was true.

The female Titan didn't bother me, what bothered me was that Eren was going to the hearing to decide where he was officially being placed. They were obviously going to hand him to the Military Police, it was inevitable.

I couldn't say goodbye to Eren, how would I be able to? It would destroy all hope for him to try to follow up with their plan. I wouldn't tell him goodbye, there has been so many already. I just wished him good luck, and that was it. Of course that wouldn't stop the fear in my stomach.

There was definitely something wrong with Ace, however. He visited me earlier and he was acting as strange as ever, almost scared, maybe. I didn't have any clue why, and what he said didn't help me either.

I quietly read the book in my hand, as I tried getting comfortable on the hard mattress underneath me. The room was quiet, and the only thing you could hear was my ragged breathing.

I looked over to my right as the door swung open, and smiled upon seeing Ace. Even with all the emotions bottle up in me, I couldn't help but feel happy when seeing him be okay.

That smile soon disappeared though.

I raised an eyebrow as I noticed that Ace was jittery. He looked like a dog that had been hit to many times, and he would pounce at any moment if something attacked. His steel eyes were filled with fear and sadness, the delightful cascade over them could easily be told it was fake.