dark skin vs light skin

COLORISM

In its simplest terms, colorism is prejudice or discrimination against individuals with a dark skin tone, typically between members of the same ethnic or racial group.

When on social media, it's a lot easier to pretend that colorism doesn't exist; especially when dark skin is now becoming an aesthetic on social media. These days, it's almost a trend to see dark-skinned women laying half naked and covered in oils, and as long as their body conforms to the idyllic standards of a tiny waist but thick thighs and such, it's okay.

But the thing is, people think that these trends equate to less discrimination within racial communities; especially the "fake woke" who love dark skinned people on social media, but these values aren't replicated in the real world.

Dark skinned people come in all shapes and sizes; different personalities and histories; amongst different racial groups.

Yet, so many stereotypes still linger which widens the gap between light skinned women and dark skinned women in many racial groups.

STEREOTYPE NO

STEREOTYPE NO. 1: Dark-skinned women are hard to control and stubborn. 

Well, first of all, men and women are equals so why would we be looking for people to control anyway? But anyway this continues the stereotype of the "angry black woman" because it's assumed that dark skinned women are more stubborn in comparison to their lighter counterparts.

I don't want to repeat this, dark skinned men and women can be as gentle and kind as light-skinned people

I don't want to repeat this, dark skinned men and women can be as gentle and kind as light-skinned people. Saying they're wild and uncivilized villainizes them. Plus, it's super insulting to imply that light-skinned women are weaker and less resistant.

STEREOTYPE NO. 2: Dark-skinned individuals are less beautiful than light-skinned individuals.

I'm just going to remind you once again

I'm just going to remind you once again... dark skinned people come in all shapes and sizes. There are dark skinned people that have the Eurocentric features that everyone seems to crave these days. Dark skinned men and women can have Type 3 hair, the same way that light-skinned men and women can have the Type 4 hair that people label as nappy.

Beauty is not mutually exclusive with being dark skinned; you can be both things at the same time.

STEREOTYPE NO. 3: Dark-skinned children are less innocent.

Let's stop stripping dark-skinned children of their childhood by promoting this idea that light skinned children are more innocent, while dark skinned children are forced into the roles of the villain in all situations.

Like this is so wrong on so many levels, plus it's so disgusting that some people fetishize light skinned children and encourage the idea that dark skinned children are inferior to light skinned children.

COMMENT ANY OTHER STEREOTYPES THAT  I FORGOT.

Now, onto: KODAK BLACK

Recently, Kodak Whack has had a lot to say about women — dark skinned women in particular. Firstly, we've been on this ish for a long time; Kodak is a self-hating coon with whack music so I usually don't listen to rubbish that he spews.

It's just that this statement in particular strikes a chord because I don't understand why we keep on giving coons like him the platform to spread their ignorant opinions; it only further divides the black community.

❝I love African American women, but I just don't like my skin complexion. My complexion we too gutter: light-skinned women are more sensitive. ❞

The interviewer then said that darker-skinned women can be sensitive, to which Kodak Black replied: ❝No, no, they too tough. Light-skinned women, we can break them down more easy.❞

I personally don't like preferences (I'll talk about that some other time), but I've come to realize that they are prevalent in our society.

Plus, realistically, the dark skinned community as a whole do not want Kodak Whack and his internalized racism so I don't care if he says he prefers light skinned women — WE DO NOT WANT HIM AND TBH NEITHER DO LIGHT SKINNED WOMEN 😩😩

But like what I don't like is people dragging  black women into everything then proceeding to bash them. He didn't need to dehumanize dark skinned women and imply that they are less civilized than light skinned women. He didn't need to imply that light skinned women are weaker and simply better in comparison to other black women.

And it just makes him sound a whole lot of ignorant considering the fact that he is also dark skinned. Like how are you going to project so much hatred on a group of women because of their skin color... when you're the exact same as them.

Like that's internalized racism on a whole new level so to round this up, dark skinned women are equal to light skinned women and we need to stop encouraging stereotypes about both groups because this increases colorism in different racial or ethn...

Like that's internalized racism on a whole new level so to round this up, dark skinned women are equal to light skinned women and we need to stop encouraging stereotypes about both groups because this increases colorism in different racial or ethnic groups.

zara

QOTD: what's your name and where are you from?