Chapter 10 Hansel and Gretel

Two Months Later

Just as I was about to step into the building, Lestrade rushed out with Donnavan holding a bunch of files. "Sonya, I need you to come with us to Sherlock's flat. Tough case." The both got into a car and drove off. I sigh and get a taxi over there.

"I should have just been late..."

I started up the steps and opened the door to see Sherlock, Greg, Sally, and John crowding around different folders and pictures. "I hope I'm not late."

"Actually, your just in time. We were just going over what happened, well, what we know at least." John said and then continued to fill me in.

"Okay. Thanks." Greg turned to Sherlock.

"The Ambassador's asked you personally." He pushed past both me and Sally.

"The Reichenbach hero." He left and we just stood there a little awkwardly until Greg started to follow him.

"Isn't it great to be working with a celebrity?" The rest of us followed suit.

~Time Skip~

We arrived at the scene and Greg started to explain the situation. "Miss Mackenzie, House Mistress. Go easy." He walks over to her and says something, but then his voice rises angrily.

"What are you?! An idiot, a drunk or a criminal?" He grabs the blanket and abruptly pulls it from around her shoulders. She gasps in fear as he glares furiously at her. "Now quickly, tell me!" I sigh in frustration and quickly send a glare his way.

"All the doors and windows were properly bolted. No-one – not even me – went into their room last night. You have to believe me!" She shouted and he grabbed her shoulders lightly, speaking softly. He looks at the nearby police officers as he turns and walks away. "Miss Mackenzie will need to breathe into a bag now." She sobs in distress and the female police officer hurries over to comfort her. Shortly afterwards, inside the school, Sherlock leads us into one of the dormitories.

"Six grand a term, you’d expect them to keep the kids safe for you. You said the other kids had all left on their holidays?" I laugh a little at John's comment. Sherlock had already looked in a cupboard beside one of the beds and is now his knees to peer under the bed.

"They were the only two sleeping on this floor. Absolutely no sign of a break-in." Sherlock then picks up a lacrosse stick lying on the floor and gets to his feet while looking at the stick closely. He briefly wields it as if using it as a weapon but then apparently decides it wasn’t used in that way and drops it to the floor. "The intruder must have been hidden inside some place."Sherlock goes over to a wooden trunk and opens the lid. Amongst the other items inside the trunk he picks a large brown envelope with a wax seal on the back which has already been broken as if someone has opened the envelope. Inside is a large hardback book. Carefully checking the envelope first, he then takes out the book and flips it over to look at the cover. The book is “Grimm’s Fairy Tales.” He looks along the edges of the book and then riffles the pages quickly. Apparently, finding nothing of interest, he looks up.

"Show me where the brother slept." Lestrade takes us to another smaller dormitory and he looks around, going to stand beside the only bed in the room which still has bedding on it. The bed is opposite the door, which has a frosted glass pane in it. He looks towards the door while gesturing down to the bed. "The boy sleeps there every night, gazing at the only light source outside in the corridor. He’d recognise every shape, every outline, the silhouette of everyone who came to the door."

"Okay, so..." I say in a questioning tone.

"So someone approaches the door who hedoesn’t recognise, an intruder. Maybe he can even see the outline of a weapon." Leaving us inside the room, he goes outside the door and pulls it almost closed, then raises his hand and points his fingers as if they’re a gun, showing us how it would be seen through the frosted glass. He pushes the door open and comes back into the room. "What would he do in the precious few seconds before they came into the room? How would he use them if not to cry out?" He walks around the bed, looking at the boy’s possessions. "This little boy; this particular little boy..." He looks at the bedside table and points towards it. "... who reads all of those spy books. What would he do?"