8

[In the Ready room]

Seven handed a PADD to captain Janeway.

"I found some unsettling information. I examined their communication records. The Collective did receive the drones' initial distress call", Seven told the captain, while she looked at the PADD.

The captain stood up, the PADD in her right hand.

"How long before they arrive?" the captain asked.

"A vessel was not dispatched. The Collective declared the neonatal drones irrelevant and severed their link to the Hive permanently", Seven said.

"They see them as damaged, unworthy of re-assimilation", the captain stated.

"Precisely", Seven agreed.

"Are the drones aware of this?" Janeway asked.

"No. They don't have the ability to decrypt the message." (Seven)

"Once they learn they've been rejected by the Hive, they won't need our deflector. They might be willing to release the hostages", Janeway guessed.

"Normally when drones learn they're irrelevant, they deactivate themselves. But these neonatal drones are unpredictable. They may not adhere to Borg protocols." (Seven)

Captain Janeway walked around her desk and Seven.

"There is another option. We could invite them to Voyager. When they realise they have no place else to go..." (Janeway)

"If you're suggesting transforming them into individuals, that would be extremely difficult", Seven interrupted.

"You turned out pretty well, Seven." (Janeway)

"That's because I was prepared before you encountered me." (Seven)

"What do you mean?" Janeway asked.

"When I was first captured by the Borg, I was young and frightened. I watched my parents assimilated. Then I was placed in a maturation chamber, and the Hive mind began to restructure my synaptic pathways, purge my individuality.
When I emerged five years later, the turmoil of my forced assimilation had been replaced with order. You may not be aware of this, Captain, but that order continues to be a source of strength for me.
I could not have regained my humanity without it", Seven explained.

"I appreciate your insights. But just because they didn't have the benefit of your Borg upbringing doesn't mean we're going to turn our backs on them. There has to be another way." (Janeway said while walking back to Seven slowly.

"Not all drones can be saved, Captain." (Seven)

"Continue the repairs aboard the Borg Cube. We'll hold onto this information for now", Janeway commanded.

"Yes, Captain." (Seven)

"They do have one thing going for them. You. If there's anyone who can reach them, it's you."

"Maybe. At least one of the them don't seem to need me", Seven stated.

"And what do you mean by that?" the captain asked.

"Lil. One of them, a teen boy is taking care of her. He gave her medical attention. And I've seen the looks on his face about her condition", Seven said.

[In the Astrometrics lab]

"Three of hearts on a transwarp conduit." Harry mumbled.

"Ensign?" (Tuvok)

[In the Cube - In the corridor]

"King of clubs on a power coupling. I'm marking my route with playing cards in case I have to come back the same way", Harry explained.

"You shouldn't distract yourself, Mister Kim." (Tuvok)

"I need a little distraction. This hike is bringing up some bad memories", Harry said.

[In the Astrometrics lab]

"An earlier visit to a Borg Cube?" Tuvok asked.

"No, a haunted house my parents took me to when I was six", Harry answered.

"Borg vessels may be forbidding, but they are not haunted." (Tuvok)

[In the Cube - junction]

"Tuvok?" Harry asked.

"Turn left, Ensign." Tuvok told him.

"Nine of diamonds on a data node", again Harry mumbled.