III 27

[On the Bridge]

The Voyager arrived at the Brunali homeworld.

"I'm detecting scattered enclaves on the northern continent, all with populations of fewer than ten thousand", Kim reported.

"Judging from the residual gamma radiation, it appears they've suffered numerous Borg attacks over the past decade", Tuvok said.

"That's not surprising. There's a Borg transwarp conduit less than a light year away", Seven noted.

"Not exactly prime real estate." (Paris)

"Tuvok, run continuous scans for Borg activity. Tom, put us into synchronous orbit", Janeway ordered.

"Yes, ma'am." (Paris)

"Seven. You'd better get Icheb."

"What about Lil?"

Janeway looked at Seven with a questioning look.

"She doesn't know?"

Seven shook her head. Janeway sighed, and made a decision.

"Her too."

[At the Sickbay]

"According to these scans, you're in perfect health", the doctor told Icheb.

"Then why does my stomach feel so strange?" the boy questioned.

The doctor scanned it. Then suddenly Lil stormed in.

"Doctor, I heard Icheb is here. Why?"

"Doctor."

"Oh, I should have known. You've got butterflies in there."

"Butterflies?" (Lil)

"I never assimilated butterflies."

"It's an expression used to describe anxiety or apprehension, both of which are perfectly natural reactions for someone about to meet his long lost parents. If it's any comfort, I'm sure they're just as nervous about meeting you", the doctor said.

"Parents?" Lil whispered.

"Yes he's going to meet them today."

"Parents are irrelevant", Icheb said when he saw Lil's reaction from the corner of his eye.

"Really. Do you think Naomi's mother is irrelevant to her?"

"I have Seven of Nine to assist me in my education. I have you to care for my medical needs."

"Your parents can nurture you in ways this crew can't. They can explain the Brunali culture, share their experiences with you."

"You didn't have parents."

"No, but..."

"You adapted to serve a vital function about this vessel, forged relationships with its crew, all without the benefit of parents", Icheb interrupted.

"I had my programming to fall back on."

"And how would your programming respond if you were asked to live with strangers?" the boy asked.

Then Seven entered.

"Are you damaged?" she asked.

"He's fine. I was just giving him a last minute check-up."

"It's time", Seven meant.

"The butterflies will go away", the doctor said to Icheb.

Seven went out, followed by Icheb and a confused Lil, who walked into the other direction. Seven and Icheb noticed.