III 28

[In the Ready room]

"Your attitude is making a difficult situation worse", Janeway said, not happy.

"I was simply attempting to insure Icheb's well-being", Seven countered.

"By insulting his parents?"

"Those issues needed to be discussed."

"You could have done it with a little more tact."

"Perhaps, but that doesn't alter the fact that those individuals may not be suitable guardians."

"Those individuals are his mother and father."

"Which is no guarantee that they'll be able to care for him. He's far more likely to flourish if he remains on Voyager."

"That's not an option, Seven."

"Are you ordering him off the ship?"

"That's not what I said."

"So that he can be assimilated again?" Seven shot another question.

"What makes you so sure that's going to happen?" Janeway asked curious.

"They shouldn't remain on that planet."

"It's their home."

"It's not worth protecting."

"Who are you to decide that?"

"Anyone who values their own goals over the safety of their children is irresponsible."

"Are we talking about Icheb's parents, or yours?"

"Both."

"It's not like you to admit to something like that."

"It would be naive for me to claim objectivity in this case. But I'm not prepared to return Icheb to parents who may be as careless as my own."

"I know what it's like to feel protective towards someone you've helped through a difficult period, but Icheb is an individual now. You have to give him a chance to form his own opinions."

"If I do, and he decides to remain on Voyager?"

"Then it'll be my problem."

"You also have to think about Lil. What will happen when Icheb decides to stay there. What will happen when she suffers Pon farr again? You know it could kill her."

"That's only occurring every seven years."

"And how do we know that? How do we know that it's the same with the females like with the males. It could also be that it happens every single month."

"That's unlikely."

"But if it happens, do you want that she sells herself to Vorik? Or that she died from Pon farr? Or that she even commits suicide?"

"Seven that's not going to happen and this discussion is over. For now."

[At Cargo Bay two]

Mezoti was riding a little scooter. Naomi and the twins were playing Kadis-kot.

"Is your mother pretty? What are they like?" Mezoti asked.

"I'm busy", Icheb replied.

"I never met my father."

"I don't remember ours." (Azan)

"Neither do I." (Rebi)

"Are you going to stay with them?" Naomi wanted to know.

"If you leave, who is going to help us with our science projects?" (Mezoti)