Chapter 9-Memory

I was so surprised I almost lost my concentration on the water. I was losing my hold over it and seeing Hiro in front of me like this wasn't helping. I hadn't seem him in years, not since he left Cordinia...before our wedding. Father attempted to save me from my sister's fate when I was sixteen, so he set up an arranged marriage with my childhood play partner. Hiro's father is a member of the high council so he was more than qualified to be my husband. I didn't mind. I had loved him since we were little, whether I loved him like a brother or more than that I could never tell.

"Nice to see you," I said looking up at him. "You would think after all this time you would treat me a little better than just tying me to this post."

"Of course. We have much to discuss," He said, signalling his men to untie me. "I can tell you're struggling to hold the waves. Just let them go Rae, I promise we won't sail until after our talk."

As he said my nickname a flash of his childhood self ran through my mind. 

 Who did he become? We agreed that he would leave Cordinia to pursue all the traveling and freedom of not being a noble, but a pirate? I was not expecting that

"How can I trust you?" I asked crossing my arms.

"I promise," He said holding out his pinky.

"I don't make childish promises anymore," I said as a pain grew in my heart.

There would be severe consequences on my health if I continued to use my power.

"You'll just have to take my word for it then," Hiro responded as we headed into the Captain's quarters.

There was a small bed and in the center of the room was a medium sized desk. I released my connection to the water. The water rushed back under the ship causing it to violently totter from side to side, rising back up.

"Sit," He said motioning to the chair behind the desk.

"If you wanted to see me you could have written. You went years without sending a single letter," I said sitting down.

"As much as I wanted to talk to you I cannot have any connection to my past."

"And why is that?" I asked as Hiro stood in front of me.

"It keeps me from moving forward..."

"Then why kidnap me?"

Hiro took off his hat, gently placing it on the table. His light blonde hair fell and slightly curled.

"I'm a pirate. I need to make money," Hiro replied.

"There's more than that. You're a terrible liar Hiro. I'm surprised you're a pirate if you are an obvious liar," I said with a chuckle.

"I guess some things never change," He whispered.

I sat up and walked towards him.

"Hiro...why am I here?" I asked.