chapter twentyone

uncomplicated

"You're being unusually quiet this morning."

How sad was she that she was checking the hallways for him?

The question was, is it so she could run the other way or so she could catch a glimpse of him?

"I liked it better when he just stood there and expected me to fall all over him."

"You're just upset you couldn't tell him to go wank himself because you love Mel too much."

Jess smiled. Julian only talked like that when he wanted a smile out of her. "Why don't you go wank yourself?"

She lost her smile when she thought she'd caught sight of him, but it was another. "I hate that he's given me a reason to like him. Did you see how wonderful Mel looked this morning? Even Aunt Sarah cheered a little at seeing it."

"He's not so bad, Jess. None of them are."

Her already slow walk came to a stop. "Do you believe in this whole mate nonsense?"

"I don't know, babe. A part of me says it's not possible but come on, Jess. None of this seems possible."

"How can we not be a match? That screams major flaw."

He smiled that smile she loved so much and caught a lock of her hair. "We never have fit in a box. Don't read so much into it that even aliens can't understand us."

Jess shrugged. "It's not so complicated. I love you. You love me."

"We've been romantically involved but we aren't romantically involved. We don't see ourselves getting married, but we probably will. You think I'm hot but you're able to keep your hands off. Even I have a hard time understanding that one."

She gave him a cheeky smile. "You are hot. I'll give you that. So, what about you and your matches? You don't talk about them much."

"Not much to talk about. None of them seem to wank my chain." He returned her smile. "At least none of the aliens. That cheerleader looking one isn't so bad."

"You make me sick. What is it with you and cheerleaders?"

"All about the pompoms, baby. You could get some and put me a show on."

He got an elbow to the gut. "Sicko."

Julian gave her a push to get them moving again. She might not mind being late for classes, but he did. She couldn't recall a single class he's ever been late for. Unless it was her fault, of course.

He sobered knowing he was coming up on his class and he was running out of time to make her feel better. "Like I said, he's not so bad. Maybe you should give him a chance."

She could do that but what she couldn't do is be a smitten fool. A smart girl didn't let a few friendly gestures and a pair of amazing eyes let her head get turned.

"See you, babe." She waved then turned in time to catch Kellum walking her way.

Color her smitten and call her a fool. What was she thinking putting him in a pair of jeans? His t shirt was grey and tight.

Ho lee cow and pink chickens. Did he just say something to her?

Who cared. No wonder these people wore their uniforms. Who could think straight with them walking around like this?