chapter fortyeight

unsung

       The place was packed.  Every table and chair taken. The lights dim enough that the hanging blinking lights left everything from a soft glow to a warm, cozy atmosphere with just a blink. Everyone was talking, visiting with their neighbors. Everyone was enjoying themselves and belonged.

       Kellum took a moment to appreciate how his kind mixed throughout the humans.  Maybe not everyone was adjusting as well, but it was far better than he had thought it would go.

       Humans were amazing at adopting to any situation they found themselves.

       He paused to give his sister a kiss on her cheek and nodded towards Pensley.

       His destination was a few more tables away.  Where one lone guy sat with his head on the table and hidden beneath his arms.

       Kell had no idea why the boy seemed to be sleeping but Julian was still going to receive his company.

       "Can't you see I'm busy?  Leave me to myself."  The order was barked at him.

       Before Kellum could take offense, the boy lifted his head and looked at Kell in surprise.

       "Thank God, you're here.  I was afraid you hadn't gotten the memo."

       "Your summons?  Yes, I received it."

       "Thank God.  I'm telling you man; I'm so freaking out for her I'm making myself sick."

       "Is that why you looked like you were sleeping?"

       "Praying.  Jess swears I get religious when I'm freaked."

       "And why are you freaked?"

       "Because she is.  God, I hope she doesn't go up there and puke on stage or something."

       "If it eases your mind, she is not as upset as she was."

       Julian breathed a sigh of relief.  "Thank God.  That means she's in her, I'm too bad ass for this shit, stage.  That's good.  Cool that you are tuned into her emotions.  That's a superpower that will come in handy for you.  You really are the one for her."

       He had not asked; it was more of a statement he had made to himself.

       "If this is so upsetting why is she doing it?"

       "She's never sung for anyone but family before.  It's a thing for her.  Another one of those daddy issues.  She's doing it for her mom.  This is kind of a memorial for her.  No matter how upset she is, she'll do it.  And heads up, be prepare to be amazed.  She has the most beautiful voice.  It can bring tears to your eyes."

       She amazed him every day.  He could feel her close, but it was not close enough.  Every mile he had put between them had felt like a weight being put on his chest.  Right now, every step seemed too great a distance.

       Julian smiled.  "You decided to let me live?  I wasn't worried.  You should thank me, all of this kept her from worrying too much over you.  Otherwise, she'd be wanting to ring your neck right now."

       Kellum looked at him so he would take his words to heart.  "Anytime she wants to ring my neck, leave that between me and her.  I do not fear her anger.  I do fear my wrath the next time you think to keep her from me."

       "I can do that.  Jess tends to chase off anyone she likes by coming on too strong.  I didn't want her to do the same to you."

       "You do not have to worry about that."