Chapter Twenty-Three ⚜️Dreams

Before I blink, I jump out of the bed and a blade is in my hands, the power already pumping through me and the blade glows a dull white. My eyes dart around the dark room, the bare hotel room in order, nothing out of place. No intruders. I felt something. My clammy skin is sodden with sweat and it trickles down my forehead as my heart beats in pure fear, racing out of my chest. The nightmare leaves me panting. Was it really a nightmare? My conscious says somewhere deep in the back of mind. No. It wasn't.

The blackout curtains keep the light from filtering into the room. I take a deep breath and I command the power to draw back into me. I am getting a hand at this! The knife in my hand stops glowing and returns to the stark grey it was. Opening up the cabinet side drawer, I place it next to my gun.

What time is it? Grabbing my iPhone, the bright light blinds me and I squint, 4:03pm. We arrived here at sunrise so at least I got some good shuteye. I yawn and stretch, my bones clicking into place. Opening the curtains open, the crisp sun rushes into my room and I open the window, the cutting air hits me and the cold sends goosebumps all over my body. As summer ends, the air is going colder as we enter Fall, one of my favourite seasons. Newton is known for it's snow as it's located near mountains, so I fully expect it to be a kingdom of white. I love snow. It brings back so many memories of me and her in our younger years. Playing in the snow, as we had snowball wars, snowmen the size of us and we giggled for hours as we did so.

Amelia. My hands twiddle with the locket around my neck, a picture of our family stored within. The cool metal of the silver is like ice on the intense heat my body is radiating and I breathe out deeply as I think of the family I lost. This is why I am doing this, for my parents. For Amelia.

I go over to my bag and pull out the crumpled photograph. That was all it took for the tears to burst my dam of restraint. I open it up, the old photo creased from the folds and the sides worn, but none of that mattered. I looked through my watery eyes and stared upon our faces that had been caught in a moment of perfection. Of bliss. It was the happiest memories in my life that hurt me the worst, they were the ones that cut me deepest. Deeper than any whip, knife or bullet ever lashed onto me. I focused in on her eyes, they were glistening with the twinkle of laughter as it was a picture of the two us. First day of school, our arms wrapped around another tightly as we looked at the camera with nothing but joy. Now, the eyes- they laughed at her. They reminded me of what I had lost.  I clutch the photo tightly to my breasts and I bow my head, the tears slipping It was in that moment, I realised I no longer knew how she felt. I felt numb, yet somehow in agony. I longed to be free of the pain, the memories that tear my insides like glass, yet I wanted her back more than I have ever wanted anything.

I open the window and breathing in deeply, the cool air travels through me as I feel instant relief. I'm left with a groggy headache and I gather up my hair and put it in a messy bun, a couple strands falling down onto my face. Slipping back into bed, I plead with my mind to stop thinking about them and I open up wattpad, I have some spare time so may aswell read a book to pass the time until we have to leave.

My stomach rumbles, better get some food I guess. Sighing I slip out of the bed and ruffle through my bags, slipping on a pair of black jeans and a tank top, I walk out of my room into the kitchen.

I see Clary at the table, mouth full of scrambled eggs on toast. She swallows greedily, before turning to me, egg stuck in her teeth and a big grin, "I picked up some food and all!" Lord have mercy.

I rifle through the carrier bags, eggs, milk, butter, bread, COFFEE! Exclaiming in relief I set the kettle to boil and wait to get make myself some well needed coffee. The smell of coffee already wafts through the suite, I need it, I need it, I NEED IT!