Chapter 9. The Awakening

I was summoned to Reiji's room again. I didn't ask why, but I had to assume he was giving me more medicine. I was slow, making my way there, for I was rather unsteady today and not feeling well, more so than usual. I arrived at Reiji's room and I knocked on the door.

"Enter." I heard Reiji call to me. I opened the door and stepped inside, shutting it behind me. I looked to Reiji, but I was surprised to discover that I was not the only one here. All, except Shu arrived, which I suppose was no surprise. If Shu did make an appearance, he was usually the last. I glanced between them.

"Hello, Risa." Laito greeted.

"How are you feeling today?" Kanato asked.

"Uh...Hi, everyone. Reiji, what's...?" I asked, looking to Reiji.

"Come. Take a seat." Reiji said, gently as he gestured to a chair. I slowly made my way to the chair, using whatever I could for balance. Subaru was at my side in a second and he took my hand, supporting me. I looked to him and smiled, softly. I proceeded to sit down and Subaru stood at my side. I looked back up to Reiji, who had another dose of medicine for me. He held the vial to me and I took it. I quickly drank the medicine, still met by the vanilla cream taste.

"I suppose you're wondering why you are here." Reiji said as he took the vial from me.

"Well, I'm wondering, but if it's not my place to ask, then..."

"You have every right to ask." Subaru said. I looked up to him.

"All right, then. Why did you call for me here?"

"Do you remember what you and your sister was sent here for?" Reiji asked me. I looked to him.

"Something about us being a sacrifice? Or an offering? Am I wrong?"

"No," I had been under the understanding that we were sent here for a reason, but to be told that so bluntly, it kind of struck me, "But, it's not you. It's your sister, actually."

"What?!"

"You're sister is here as a sacrificial bride."

"Wait, hold on, what do you mean? I mean, I know why we are here, but why does it have to be her?"

"She is not the first we've had. We have an understanding with the church, who provides us with suitable brides. Whoever can awaken the bride, will become the true next head of the family."

"But...I thought that Shu was."

"For now, yes. But, because of your sister's blood and its rich quality, if one of us obtains it, then we will become the strongest."

"So...you mean to say that my sister is going to die?"

"Yes."

"And there isn't anything we can do to stop it?"

"No," My breath trembled as I slowly shook my head, "I thought that you should know about this, ahead of time."

"No, no. No, that--Well, then, what happens to me? If my sister dies, will you turn on me as well? Kill me faster by drinking my blood?!"

"No, Risa, you've got it all wrong," Subaru said, trying to talk me down. I stood to my feet.

"You can't do this to me! She is my sister! She is all I have left!" I could feel the tears and anger welling up. So, this was it? My sister would be killed, for whatever reasoning, and I would be left here alone? "You all can't be serious! Family may not mean much to you, but you will destroy me if she dies! If any of you, even slightly, care then don't go through this this! Please, I'm begging you!"