Chapter 12. A Sister's Promise

I stared at the floor for several minutes, tears still streaming down my face. Subaru eventually let go of me, once I had stopped thrashing and fighting him. Now, I sat on the floor, on my knees, in shock, for the new reality was still sinking in. My sister...my older sister had sacrificed so much, but why did it have to be her life as well? For the sake of preventing an awakening to happen? We didn't ask for this. We didn't ask for any of this. Yet, why did it feel like we were being punished for something? How could I possibly recover from this?

"I can't believe she'd go and stab herself. It seems our Little Bitch has got some guts after all." Laito stated.

"She's caused a lot of trouble. For a girl who was meant to be bait." Shu added. I didn't even look to them. I didn't have the strength to defend her or anything. At this point, nothing they said could hurt more than this situation right now.

"So, what happens next?" Kanato asked, "Do you think her body will disappear?" Subaru, who was standing beside me, was quiet.

"Subaru," Ayato called, causing him to look up, "What should I do? Is it okay to pull the knife out now?" I lifted my head and looked up as Ayato reached for the knife.

"Wait," Subaru said as he appeared next to him and Yui, "You should let me do it." He grabbed the knife and pulled it out of my sister's body.

I didn't realized it until now, but Richter was gone. Ayato brought Yui down to a couch and laid her on it. I still didn't move, for I wasn't ready to face my sister yet.

"It looks like her face is turning whiter," Kanato said after a little while.

"She could awaken at any time." Shu added.

"There has to be a way to drive the old bitch out of her." Ayato spoke up. I finally looked up, seeing that Laito, Subaru, and Reiji had left. But as time went by, Subaru eventually returned. And time slowly went by as the Sakamaki brothers tried to think of a way to revive Yui, but be rid of Cordelia. Was that even possible? She stabbed herself with a silver knife directly into her heart. The only reason her body didn't disappear was because she had a human body. But, that didn't mean her heart wouldn't disappear.

We suddenly heard Yui groan with pain. I slowly widened my eyes and turned my head.

"Seems like she's in a lot of pain, doesn't it?" Kanato asked. Ayato walked to Yui's side and then knelt down.

"Hey. Wake up." He pleaded. She kept on groaning with pain.

"What the hell is going on with her?" Subaru asked.

"I suspect it's the awakening. It looks to me like it's already started." Shu stated.

"I'm a little worried," Kanato said, "Because it doesn't seem like there is any precedent in this situation. No mortal woman has ever awakened with the power of a vampire, right?"

"That's right. Because no vessel has ever been able to endure the process." Shu replied.

"But, it's completely different this time." Ayato informed, "She has that woman's heart beating in her chest."

More time went by and I finally stood to my feet. I turned and walked around the couch Yui was lying on. I felt the brothers' eyes on me. Kanato, who was standing on the other side of the couch took a few steps back and then walked to the side. I stared down at Yui, who looked so pale and in so much pain. I sat down on the edge of the couch and reached for her hand. When I grabbed it, she felt cold, almost as though death had already taken her. I stared down at our hands for a few moments, before slowly looking back up to her. My eyes scanned her over and memories of us began to race through my mind.