Chapter 10. Deathly Choices

I opened my eyes and found myself in a place of white mist as far as the eye could see. There was no ground, yet I stood without falling. I looked around myself, trying to find why I was here.

"Hello?" I called out as I began to walk forward. My voice echoed, as though it had no end.

"Hello." A voice returned. I stopped and looked around.

"Who's there? Who are you?"

"Don't be scared. We are not your enemies." I turned around, for the voice suddenly cleared and I pinpointed its location. I, instinctively, took a step back, as my eyes widened with shock. Before me was Shu and Reiji's mother as well as Subaru's mother.

"What? Why are you--?"

"Hello, Risa. We've been waiting for you." Shu and Reiji's mother spoke.

"You're...Shu and Reiji's mother, right? And you are Subaru's?"

"We are. My name is Beatrix. And this is Christa."

"Why are you here? Aren't you dead?"

"We are, yes," Christa replied, "But, we've come because we have sense the return of Cordelia."

"Cordelia?" I gasped as I suddenly remember Yui, "Oh, no! Yui!"

"She is fine." Beatrix assured. I let out a sigh.

"What do you want with me?"

"We're here to tell you about Cordelia and your sister. There is a reason why your sister was chosen to be the sacrificial bride."

"So, she was chosen? It wasn't just by coincidence?"

"That is correct. It is because she has the heart of Cordelia inside of her." Beatrix stated.

"What?"

"Back when the triplets each took a part in killing Cordelia, the one you know as Richter found her and he took her heart as an attempt to resurrect her again. In doing so, he put her heart in Yui and then left her with your father, who raised her and you."

"So, then...does that mean Yui and I aren't full blooded sisters?"

"No, you are. Your sister is just...not completely human. She has the body of a human, but the heart of a vampire."

"Cordelia's heart," Christa added, "Cordelia's blood had power running through it and with your sister having her heart, that's what made her blood have such a high quality in taste." I nodded, slowly.

"I see. You know, I had a dream about you both and how you were like, but...you seem nothing like what I've seen." I said, looking between the two of them.

"That's because we are the maternal instincts of ourselves. We did truly love our sons. But, given the fact that we were put under so much by our husband, we weren't able to show it. Only Cordelia seemed to have the least amount of love for her sons." Beatrix replied.

"You have touched our sons in ways that neither of us could. And in that, you are healing the wounds we've unintentionally left." Christa added. I looked down.

"It's sad. I wish things could've turned out differently for you two. I mean, Christa, I can't even resent you for what you did to Subaru. Because it wasn't your fault or his. You were driven to madness and no one was there to help you." I said, softly.

"Your compassion is sincerely touching, Risa. I can see why Subaru has fallen for you. And I thank you for taking care of him. I regret the way I treated him and I am sorry he turned out the way he did."

"Don't be. That's the Subaru I like. He may have a harsh appearance, but he's very kind and sweet under that, and protective," Christa smiled, tears welling up in her eyes. I looked to Beatrix, "Reiji and Shu may resent one another to a point, but they are both good at heart. Reiji's the one who has taken care of me. I don't see Shu very often, so I can't say very much about him. But, I promise I will take care of them. As best as I'm able to."