Desperate Struggle Under the Moonlit Night

"What the hell," Ichigo said sharply.

"Look there," Rukia cried, pointing skyward.

Ichigo followed her gaze to see a man streaking down through the sky, the residue of an explosion blossoming behind him as he sped downward. The two Soul Reapers felt a sharp spike in spiritual pressure.

"Whoever that is, there something seriously off about them. Be careful Ichigo," Rukia warned.

"Yeah, I can feel it. I bet that guy is after Rurichiyo and her men," Ichigo said.

"Who," Rukia inquired, bewildered.

"I'll tell you later! We need to stop that guy now," Ichigo said, using his combat pass to transform into his soul form.

Rukia followed a second later by swallowing a Chappy candy and also transforming. She drew her sword with a graceful motion as Ichigo swept out his in a brutal stroke. They took to the sky and sped off after the strange man. Ichigo and Rukia flew over a block and then they saw smoke rising from a house near corner. The two alighted on on the roof and peered in to see a man dressed in light leather armor and a cloth covering most of his face. Strapped to his right hand was a sword with a mirror bound to the hilt. Ichigo and Rukia saw the man pay them a quick glance before stealing further into the house.

"Get back here," Rukia demanded and she leaped into the house after the assailant.

Ichigo followed her, covering her back. The hallway was dark, but thankfully the walkway was unobstructed by debris or furniture. They found the masked man at the head of the stair, eyes frantically searching. Ichigo paid a quick glance out the window and saw Kenryu and Enryu leading the princess out through a back gate. She was wearing her headdress to obscure her spiritual presence. Ichigo lightly tapped Rukia and indicated the scene outside when she turned back to him. Ichigo kept his eyes on the intruder during the exchange, which was lucky because he suddenly double backed on them, swinging his blade wildly.

Rukia easily intercepted the blows, but the man used his size to push her back a few steps. He too hazarded a glance outside. The man's eyes widened and he reached into the folds of his clothes and produced a few small bombs. He threw them in between himself and Rukia. The explosions didn't so much to her, but it allowed the assailant to breach the roof again. Ichigo swung Zangetsu and gave himself his own opening. Once he was outside, he immediately engaged the man. With the heaviness of his own blade, Ichigo was able to drive the man almost to the ground.

With a risky flick of his wrist, the man repositioned his mirror and the light dazed Ichigo. He was unable to move or even think. When he came to, Rukia was in front of him, warding the man away. The masked intruder growled and turned to follow Rurichiyo and her men. Ichigo used Flash Step and appeared in front of the man.

"No you don't," he growled, side swiping with Zangetsu. The man ducked impossibly low and as Ichigo stepped back to protect his feet, the man used the mirror to blind Rukia. He lunged for Ichigo's new fiancé, but Ichigo responded by leaping forward and bringing the hilt of his sword into the man's back, sending him crashing through both stories below.

"Rukia, are you okay?!"

"Of course I am you idiot," Rukia said, shaking her head. "Just don't let him get away!"

There was an explosion below and a hole was ripped through the outer wall. The assailant charged through it.

"Damn, how fast does this guy recover," Ichigo complained.

He leaped down and blocked the man once again from following Ririchiyo.

"You're not making it after the princess," he seethed.