13

"John," Mimi shook him gently to wake him up, she had never done this but she knew he liked it, and being with the current situation, it seemed more appropriate to be less harsh.
"Mimi?" John asked, and she handed him his glasses off of the bedside table. He rubbed his eyes before putting them on, and then sat up in bed, "what's wrong?" John asked immediately, seeing as she had never woken him up like this.
It was quite unusual for the pair and felt awkward.
"John, sometimes bad things happen to good people," she started, and she took John's face in her hands, "and I want you to understand that early in life. Because life is going to knock you down, and you'll need to learn to adjust," Mimi tried to get through to him, but he wasn't really listening. He was waiting for the bad news.
"Mimi, what happened?" He asked, interrupting her big speech.
"John, I don't want-" she started, but his piercing eyes hurried her along to get to the truth.
"It's your mum. She got hit by a car yesterday, John," she said slowly, and john jumped out of bed, "john, where are you going?" She asked, and he turned to her with tears in his eyes.
"I've got to see her," he said, and she stood up and took his hands in hers.
"John, she's gone," she said, and john sat on the bed in disbelief. There was no way she was gone. She was always so lively, he couldn't imagine her life fading on the street. The light leaving her eyes, the smile fading, and the personality drifting away on the rough cement.
He felt his break right then, in that room, next to a woman he despised. But she was the only person there, and so he cried to her. He broke down in her arms.
"It- it can't be. She can't be gone. We had so much to do, so much to see, so much time to spend. I only just met her!" He yelled, now he was angry. This wasn't how it was supposed to be. He was supposed to have his mom back. It felt like the world had made a fool of him. Played a filthy trick by dangling his mom in front of him, and then taking his mom away just like that. He ran to the bathroom and threw up in the toilet. When he was done dry-heaving, he brushed his teeth and splayed back in bed. He really didn't feel like getting up. As if boycotting life could somehow bring his mom back, but it couldn't, and he knew that deep down inside. He wouldn't ever see her smile again, or make her proud. And a world without Julia was a world that was just a little harsher, and a little colder. But that's how life is, one moment you can be lively and bright and high-spirited, and the next moment, everything comes crashing down on you.

John had lost the one thing that was truly important to him, and he would never find that thing again.
------------------------------------------------------
I tried to make this as detailed as possible, sorry if I didn't get it just right.