14

"John? Mimi let me in. I-I heard about your mom," Paul said hesitantly as he walked into John's room. John hadn't gone out for days, and Mimi was caring for him. It was a sad sight honestly, but Paul didn't judge him like everyone else did. Paul understood, it wasn't something you could "get over." It was a big deal, and it really showed you that life isn't eternal.
    "Paul? Can you just- I want to be alone right now," John said, and Paul sat on the edge of his bed while Paul faced the other way on his side.
    "I understand. You know, when my mom died, I think the worst thing was when people would say 'I'm so sorry about the accident' or 'she was taken to soon,' but then they would say 'everything happens for a reason," Paul said, and he felt his voice crack at the end. He had never really talked about this. John just quietly listened and didn't respond.
     "I never got why that would happen for a reason. In every scenario, my life would be better with my mom," Paul whispered, and he felt all of the old wounds opening back up. These were things he tried to bury deep down inside. He wanted to forget about the pain, but this was seeming to hell him. Maybe he had to suck out all of the bad stuff, like you do with snake bites. Get the venom out, and you'll be much better off. So, he spent hours with john everyday. Sometimes John wanted to speak, and sometimes it was just Paul doing the talking, but that was okay. It was as if they were mourning together.
    And then it was time for the funeral. The memory of her would be gone. Burying her in the ground would signify that it was time to let go. But he couldn't let go. He couldn't stop thinking that he could've just spent more time. Talked to her more. She would never see him achieve anything in life. And on a warm July day, they put her in the ground, and she was in her final resting piece. Expect for john.
    In John's eyes, she was everywhere. She was the wind blowing the leaves, the water hitting the docks, the flowers in the ground. She was the rain, and the booming thunder, and the crack of the lightening. She was everything and everywhere, but she was also nothing and no where. And it would always be like that.