Chapter 3

I open up the computer in the school library and type in the names of the books

Nothing pops up.

Like nothing at all. It's just a blank white page like Blind ended up being.

Unease creeps over me as I suddenly feel like I'm being watched.

I keep my head ducked and scan the room for people. Nobody's here.

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid.

Well, sweetie, you're in a world with characters from your favorite books. I think you're a little bit more than paranoid-

Shut up, you.

Great. Now I'm talking to myself. What is this world doing to my brain.

As if in response, my head starts to hurt again. Damn, I hate my life right now.

When does school even end?

Wasn't I in my last period like three hours ago? How did I even get to the library?

Why the hell am I still here?

I could be home trying to figure all of this out.

"What are you still doing here?"

I jump, startled by the voice I clearly wasn't expecting.

"God damn you scared me-" I turn my chair around to face the stranger and freeze.

Reece. His almost black eyes stare down at me. You can barely see the pupil.

"Everybody's supposed to go home around now." He says suspiciously.

"Then why are you here?" I retaliate causing him to pause. He crosses his arms over his chest and mulls it over.

"I...can't tell you." He shrugs his shoulders and I snort.

"Well...I can't either." I shrug my shoulders in the same way he did.

His mouth tilts up slightly and I think he's about to smile for a split second before his face turns to stone again.

"Whatever. You were about to leave anyways." He gives me a short gaze, then spins on his heel and walks behind the bookshelves, disappearing.

"How did you know that?" I call after him.

"No yelling in the library. Hush!" A librarian appeared at my side out of nowhere and I hold back a scream.

"Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am." I respond in a monotone voice and curse at myself for it afterwards.

The librarian disappears like most adults do around here.

I pack up my books and the little notes I managed to take from school today.