Chapter 29

Panic courses through me as I know that the person who is about to open the door could easily stop me from getting out of here

The door opens and I'm pretty sure that there's not a chance of me getting out of here.

Ms. Diana Cole, also known as my biological mother, apparently, walks in.

She has an ice pack pressed to her head meaning I indeed did knock my biological mom out for a bit.

"Oh great, it's you two. I assume you're trying to get out of here." She says in a tired tone. "I also assume you told her." Diana says to Hannah.

Hannah looks at the ground sheepishly and I look anywhere but where Diana is.

"Go. I'm not going to try to stop you. This little experiment has gone on for too long." Diana sits tiredly in a chair in the corner of the room as she closes her eyes.

Hannah looks at me and then nods over at Diana.

I shake my head fast.

Hannah glares and points at Diana, clearly wanting me to talk to her.

"No!" I shout before realizing I was going to say that out loud.

Diana glances over for a second and then closes her eyes again.

Hannah pushes my shoulder and I cross my arms, finally obligingly walking towards Diana as Hannah continues to push buttons.

"So...you and my dad, huh? You know, killing someone isn't the best way to show you love them." I cringe as I come to the conclusion that that probably wasn't the right thing to say.

"I didn't kill your dad. I just sent someone to kill your dad." She says her eyes still closed.

Anger and pain rushes through me and I resist kicking her in the head again.

"Why?" I weakly ask.

"He took you and fell in love with someone else. I lost the only two things I cared about and you could see how that could anger someone." Diana says coldly.

"You do know you're going to jail, right? Once we get out of here." I say.

She scoffs and I narrow my eyes.

"You are." I protest.

"No, kid, I plan on going somewhere else." Diana murmurs.

She's crazy if she thinks she's going to avoid jail.

I rub a hand over my forehead and hold back the groan.

I slowly crouch down next to her chair. "I'm sorry my dad hurt you."

Diana slowly opens her eyes and gives me a nod. "I didn't mean for this to happen. I just wanted my daughter." She closes her eyes again.

I gulp and nod my head as I get back on my feet again.