Chapter 7

I lean my head against the lunch table

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I lean my head against the lunch table. "Can you stop being so evasive and just tell me?"

Reece shrugs his shoulders. "I can't tell you."

"I got threatened by somebody I idolized. You have to tell me." I say, angrily.

He sighs. "Athena, look, I want to tell you. I really do. But I can't."

I push out my lower lip, causing a corner of his lip to quirk up in a cute little-

Um.

Anyways.

"Just tell me where the authors fit into all of this. She controlled me. She made me get in the car. How'd she do that?"

He opens his mouth to say something but then his attention is directed towards someone behind me.

I turn around and see Sara standing right behind me.

She looks at her lunch tray nervously. "Um...is it okay if I sit with you guys?"

No.

"Of course." I say, smiling and moving my bag off the seat next to me.

She smiles and sets her lunch tray down. Reece's face turns to stone again.

"I'm Sara. I'm new here." She introduces herself awkwardly, looking over at Reece.

Intimidated, probably.

"Reece." I hiss at him. He snaps out of whatever state he was in, looking at me like I just got here.

"I'm Athena." I say, turning back to Sara.

She smiles. "Were you named after the Greek goddess of wisdom?"

"Yes, my mom wanted to be more wise about my decisions than she was." I laugh.

The name obviously didn't help me at all.

"That's so cool." She looks at Reece expectantly.

He stays silent, picking at his pizza.

"That's Reece." I say for him.

"Oh." She says, nodding her head. Today she has on an oversized flannel and ripped jeans.

Her brown hair is in two french braids and her brown doe eyes are shielded by glasses.

I feel awkward. The only person I've really had a conversation with here is Reece.

And sort of Logan.

"So...um, do you like it here?" No, stupid. You've read the book, you know she doesn't.

"Uh...not really. I miss my friends." Sara says, giving me a tight lipped smile.

I nod my head. I know what that feels like. I haven't really thought about all the people from my real life much.