Chapter 17

"Stop, she's just overreacting

"Stop, she's just overreacting. That's the only reason why." Reece put his phone down after trying to call Athena for the fifth time in a row.

"I just have a bad feeling about it, alright?" Dani says, running her hands through her hair.

"She's probably on her period or something." Reece says, despite the bad thoughts rushing through his head.

"Do you think..." Dani meets Reece's worried filled eyes.

Nothing else needs to be said.

"Yeah." Reece mutters.

"Just call again. She might pick up." Dani says, pacing back and forth.

It's only bad if it's a certain one. If it's the other one, she'll be fine. But if it's the bad one...it's not. Dani thinks to herself.

Reece throws the phone on the table in frustration when she doesn't pick up again.

"Why are you getting so worried over this one?" Dani asks suspiciously.

"Athena's different. She's not like any of the other ones." Reece says.

A smile breaks across Dani's face. "You like her, don't you. The Reece Keller. You-"

"I know. Like I said..." He eyes Dani's phone. "She's different."

"You haven't done anything yet, right? Like physically. You know what could happen..." Dani trails off as Reece avoids eye contact.

"What did you do?" She asks, warily.

"It was nothing. It was just a kiss." He rushes out.

Dani stiffens. "Was it just a kiss though?"

Reece rubs a hand over his forehead, slowly nodding.

"Do you not realize what's going to happen because of that? They're going to-"

"I know." He interrupts her. "I know."

"You're not supposed to..." Dani groans. "It's Logan, Reece."

"I know." Reece mutters.

"Do they know or..."

"Yeah. They did all kinds of things to try and prevent it from happening. Sprinklers, her phone ringing like, the the car went absolutely insane. But I didn't even know any of it was happening. I'm just..." He trails off again.