Writing Workshop

Hiya, readers! I’m Kally and I’ll be doing the writing tips for Crescendo Magazine. Unfortunately, my writing tips partner is on a hiatus so he will not be writing this month’s edition.

Anyways, the topic here this month is Creating Characters.

Yeah, we all know how to make a perfect girl in a high school romance and turn her into the school’s most unpopular nerd, then suddenly a very cute jock turns up and notices her. That’s a very good storyline but I’m not too sure about the character…

You see, in a very normal high school, a pretty girl is usually noticed by the jock a long time ago. And no one wants a too pretty girl with the perfect personality. Most teenagers on Wattpad don’t think they’re perfect, and the want someone normal or imperfect to be their main character!

Why don’t you make them stand out more! Pretty, but a bitchy personality. Average looks but very weak and vulnerable.

Make your characters unique! You want them to stand out, rather than the most beautiful girl in the school, who thinks she’s ugly and a nerd, and just randomly blurts out her life story to the boy she likes because he makes her nervous. Trust me, no one does that.

This sounds cheesy, but become your characters! Sympathize! Walk in their shoes. Do what they would do, not what you would make them do.

Here are my top six characters that are really unique.

1)         Bree Litman from That Rich Girl by NotThatKindaGal

2)         Archer Morales from In 27 Days by HonourInTheRain

3)         Matthew From If Only Tonight by Andene

4)         Anna from One Night With The Prince by mamie1990

5)         Melanie From City Of The Big Apples by AttaGirlAmy

6)         Ariane Laker From Prank War by LastFantasy

~ Article written by @BabeWithBrains12