A Whole New World

September 2005

Without Savannah by her side, Mel's life lacked light and laughter. The move to Ithaca didn't come easy for her, like it did with the other Cullens. Mel found it hard to adjust to her new room and house, new school and classes, and the new time zone, especially. 

By the time the world of New York was getting up to start the day, Mel had finally gotten to sleep. She was exhausted. New York was three hours ahead of Washington.

The youngest Cullen knew that the family was hurting after Edward chose not to stay with them. Alice had seen a snippet of him surrounded by people speaking Spanish, but he never stayed in one place for longer than a few days as he wallowed.

October 2005

Using the painful video of Bella created by James in Arizona, Alice began a more successful search on her past. She had very little luck in her previous research. The vampire seer found information about her human family, including a younger sister named Cynthia and a niece who was still alive in Biloxi. 

The excitement lasted for a few short minutes before Alice found her gravestone. "The death date..." If vampires could cry, Alice would have been choked up. "The death date is the day that I was admitted into the asylum. My family acted like I was dead when they sent me away."

Mel was heartbroken at the thought. She pulled her big sister into her embrace. "You have us now," Mel reminded her. "You have parents who will never let you down. DNA doesn't make a family, love does."

November 2005

Rosalie and Emmett left for another honeymoon. Mel figured it was to escape the doom and gloom atmosphere that polluted the autumn air.

Carlisle worked endless hours at the hospital at night and taught classes at Cornell during the day, while Esme threw herself into painting and design like it would bring her son back sooner.

Mel often hung out with Alice and Jasper to pass the time with board games and studying. She even taught the couple how to make a few of her favorite dessert dishes, including mousse au chocolat and Reese's peanut butter rice krispies.

December 2005

The new Cullen Christmas tradition was watching the movie Elf. Half of the family hadn't seen it yet, which Mel claimed was a sin. Lights twinkled, and gifts were exchanged, but a piece of the holiday cheer was missing with Edward still gone.

January 2006

The whole "new year, new me" thing didn't survive past January 1st. Mel slept until noon and loved every second of it. 

February 2006

Esme handmade a card for her daughters on Valentine's Day. Each of the Cullen boys bought flowers for their significant other, and Mel received roses from Esme and her sisters, as well as chocolate candies from Carlisle and her brothers. 

Esme, Rosalie, Alice, and Mel went to see a romantic Nicholas Sparks movie at the local cinema. Mel snuck in her Ghirardelli chocolates in Rosalie's mansion-sized purse.

Melaina loved her new family to the ends of the earth, but a small part of her heart was still in Forks. Clinging to her mother and aching to be with Savannah.

*♡*♡*♡*♡*

PS. I am happy that you are reading my story and happier that you exist♥ I know this is short, but you'll get another chapter tomorrow, promise!