Separation Anxiety

"The wolves."

Alice's words filled the quiet kitchen. Mel paused with the next bite of grilled cheese halfway to her mouth. "I can't see the wolves."

It was like a switch had been flipped, and her pixie sister was back buzzing around at full force. She gracefully hopped off the stool and danced around the counter.

Mel slowly, reluctantly, put her sandwich down and turned her full attention on Alice.

"The wolves?" Mel echoed. She raised her eyebrows questioningly.

Forgetting her past inhibitions to telling Mel about the Quileute's tribe secret, Alice launched into an explanation about the wolf shifter pack in La Push.

Not only did vampires exist, but werewolves did too. They were natural enemies, just as the media portrayed them.

Apparently the Cullens had met with the original pack of Quileute wolves to create a treaty protecting both sides of the supernatural world. The Cullens would not be harmed by the wolves as long as they stayed on their side of the invisible line with the promise of never biting a human. The wolves agreed to stay on their side of the line to protect the people of their tribe. If any part of the treaty was broken, the truce would be considered eternally void.

"So... what does this mean?"

"They can protect you on their lands. We're not allowed there, and neither are any others of our kind. This doesn't mean I trust them, don't misunderstand me, but if Aro tried to read your future from my mind, it'll come up blank. You'll be invisible when you're around the wolves."

"You want me to stay with a pack of werewolves?" Mel said in disbelief. "The same wolves that caused you to be all crazy when Sav and I went to La Push?"

"Yes, I know that it conflicts with everything that I once said, but this plan could work. The wolves protect humans, and that'll have to include you. This is the last resort."

Carlisle appeared beside his daughters. Mel wasn't even surprised that the others were listening in. "I think it is definitely worth a try. We'll need to arrange a meeting with the tribe council before anything can be set in motion."

Edward came into the kitchen with his phone to his ear. "Bella will talk to Jacob," the mind-reader announced after he hung up the call. "I can't say that I'm comfortable with Mel staying with the unstable shifters, but there is a better chance for her to escape the Volturi's wrath under their protection."

"You're going to send me off into the wolf den?" Mel's voice shook.

Alice consoled her gently as they waited for Bella to call back. Mel nibbled on her sandwich and tried to remind herself that Bella had been safe with the wolves when the family was away in New York. Hopefully she would find a way to be safe too.

~*~*~*~*~

Her hands shook. Her heartbeat took off at the speed of Secretariat. She felt sick.

"Mel, you're going to be okay."

"I'm going to be sick," Mel countered and clutched her unsettled stomach.

"We'll talk whenever you need us," Alice promised. "We just need you to keep a low profile for a little while."

Edward weaved down the slick roads without changing his speed based on the weather conditions. It didn't help Mel's nerves any.

Mel had already said her goodbyes to the others, so it was only Edward and Alice left. Each goodbye broke her heart a little more.

"It's only until we can lead the Volturi away from you, then you will never have to see those mutts again," Edward said after invading her mind. With only two people in the small Volvo, it was inevitable that he would catch some of the thoughts swirling through Mel's head.

"I know," Mel muttered. She twisted her backpack straps around her fingers anxiously.

Alice rubbed Mel's arm with a cold hand. Her touch eased only the lightest layer of anxiety coursing through Mel's body.

The rest of the car ride to the invisible treaty line was silent.

"There's Jacob," Edward said through gritted teeth. He slowed the car to a halt.

Mel's breathing picked up. "I don't want to go," she panicked. "I don't know them. I want to stay with you." She clung to Alice's small body like a child.

The spikey-haired vampire gathered Mel and her bag into her arms like they weighed nothing. She scooted out of the car and set Mel on her feet in the soggy grass. "Please don't leave me here," Mel begged.

"Mel, you love La Push," Edward reminded his youngest sister.

"I love you guys more. Please."

"This is the only way to keep you safe." Alice pried Mel's shaking fingers from her cardigan. "We'll call as soon as they've come and gone."

"Come on, baby Cullen," a deep voice called from a few feet beyond the treaty line. "Your ride awaits."

Melaina didn't acknowledge the muscular Quileute boy standing next to a beater car. She was still trying to convince her siblings that there had to be another way.

"What if I forgot something important? What if I get too far behind in school? What if--?"

"Melaina. Melaina." Edward caught his sister's chin and tilted her head upwards to connect their eyes. She simultaneously shut up. "You will be okay. Bella will come by to check in on you and keep you company when she can."

"Why ish't she here naw?" Mel's voice came out weird with Edward still gently gripping her face.

"She's grounded." Edward dropped his arm and turned to stare fire at the boy who was still waiting on the other side of the treaty line. "Someone was being his usual dipshit self."

A laugh bubbled out of Mel's throat in surprise. She had never heard Edward sound more like a modern teenager than in that moment. He was usually so calm and collected.

Mel could practically hear Jacob roll his eyes. "Again, I didn't know." He moved his gaze onto Melaina. "You coming over here or should I head back alone?"

Mel hugged Edward and then Alice. "Be good for them. They're doing you--us, a favor." Alice lowered her musical voice. "Call if there is an emergency, and I'll be next to you so fast, the wolves won't know what hit them."

Jacob scoffed and muttered, "Doubt it, leech."

Mel didn't hear his comment, but Edward hissed in response.
Alice gave Mel a little push forward, and Mel forced her legs to take her across the border to the land forbidden to vampires.

"That's the spirit! Welcome to the dark side, baby Cullen. We've got muffins."