Some Nights

Rosalie Hale went from angry to overprotective within hours of her outburst. She wouldn't let the possible last moments around Mel be spent in conflict. She was immortal; there was always tomorrow to hate the world.

The clock flashed twelve before the youngest Cullen finally drifted into a fitful sleep.

Mel's fear of, and stress from, the Italian vampire coven seeped into her unconscious mind. She was alone in her room, but not in her thoughts.

Melaina's heart racing was the initial sign that alerted the Cullens to her distress. Then she screamed.

As to not overwhelm her more, Rosalie was the only one to enter Melaina's room. She would do anything to make things right with Mel again.

The blonde vampire untangled her adoptive sister from the mess of blankets and pulled Mel onto her lap.

Rosalie tried to calm the girl's vicious shaking by brushing her slim fingers through Mel's messy hair, but the gesture didn't soothe Melaina like it had before.

Still caught up in her bad dream, Mel lashed out in her half-asleep state. Her green-grey eyes stayed squeezed shut in pain and terror. Rosalie called her name softly, rocking her as she did. "Shh, Mel," Rose cooed. "I've got you."

Melaina cringed into Rosalie's chest and mumbled, "...not my fault..." The vampire beauty frowned at Mel's nightmare whispers. "...it hurts, it hurts..." Her breathing intensified to quick, sharp gasps of air. "...please..."

"Shh, you're okay," Rose soothed. "I have you, little love. We're going to protect you. Shh. We're going to protect you."

Mel seemed to have fallen out of the nightmare when her breathing became regular again. Her eyes fluttered, but she didn't wake. Rose remained holding her and rocking her like a mother would a child.

The storm within Mel took hold for a second time that night with a lurch of her small human body. "No!" Melaina shrieked. "...I don't wait to die, please!" Rose nearly dropped the girl at the sudden flailing of limbs.

Mel cried out. All she could see was red eyes and black cloaks swarming her small frame. A match was lit and tossed with malicious intent; Mel's body went up in searing flames.

When Jasper arrived at the house with Alice after a date with deer, merely half a second passed before Rosalie was calling for him. "Jasper!" Rosalie summoned her pathokinetic brother to ease Mel's pain in a way no one else could.

Melaina was attempting to dig her nails into her soft skin, but Rose gently intervened by placing her hands over Mel's and rubbing them soothingly. Jasper appeared in the doorway before his name had fully passed the blonde's lips.

"She's having an anxiety attack," Rosalie explained unnecessarily. Jasper could feel her panic as if the emotion was his own.

"...please, no, it hurts..." Mel whimpered.

Jasper brought a pale hand up to Mel's sweating face and set it on her warm cheek. "Oh, Melaina," he said softly. The full effect of his calming capabilities lulled Mel back to sleep.

Jasper dropped his hand when her emotions were at peace. "Her night terrors are gettin' bad again."

The Hale "twins" gazed at their human sister with mutual concern in their golden eyes.

There had to be a way to save their little sister. Death or immortality could not be the only two paths for Melaina.

How else could they save her?

~*~

Melaina was exhausted when she woke up the next morning. She couldn't remember her dream, but whatever it was had kept her tossing and turning all night long. She woke up in a haze of sweat and tears.

She washed her face and brushed her teeth but couldn't commit to putting on makeup.

Moving on autopilot, the human Cullen dressed in a hoodie with only a sports bra under it and skinny jeans. She didn't bother finding a pair of shoes, figuring there had to be some by the front door.

Downstairs, Mel ate her French toast breakfast in silence. Her family exchanged looks over her head that she pretended not to notice.

Alice didn't even comment on Mel's outfit choice, just paired it with fur boots, gloves, and a hat to keep warm.

~*~

It was the middle of the week and the Cullens first day back at Forks High School. They were trying not to let the Volturi scare them into hiding, but Mel would have loved to do exactly that.

There was a lot of staring and whispers. By lunch, Mel was so done with her day. She decided to skip lunch and headed to the library for peace and quiet.

Melaina awoke, confused, by a cold hand on her arm. "Come on, Mel. Wake up."

The brunette blinked her eyes open to find Edward hovering over her. Mel realized that she had fallen asleep on the couch when she was listening to music in the library.

"Lunch ended a few minutes ago. We have to head over to biology," the golden-eyed vampire told his youngest sister.

"Let me sleep," Melaina begged. She ignored Edward as he held out his hand to help her up.

"Two more classes before we can leave. You'll be okay."

"Nooo," Mel moaned. "I can't make it."

"Now you're just being dramatic. Come on."

Edward practically carried her to the science building.

~*~ ♡ ~*~

Anyone have a guess as to how Melaina will be saved? :)