Wolf Pack

Mel couldn't stop her leg from bouncing up and down on the scenic trip through La Push in Jacob's Rabbit. She stared out the window at the rain that had just started to fall upon the earth.

Bella's best guy friend casually chatted away, which surprised Mel since she was not only a "vampire girl" but a Cullen as well. The first time they had met, she hadn't shared her last name with the Quileutes, but Jacob didn't seem to hold it against her. Mel was curious as to why that was.

"Um, Jacob?" Mel bit her lip nervously and fiddled with her hair. "Why are you being nice to be?" She didn't like the way that sounded and backtracked. "I mean, it's obviously not a bad thing, but I thought once you knew I was a Cullen, you'd hate me..."

"Oh, baby Cullen," Jacob said with a grin. "You've given us wolves the opportunity to one up the leeches. Besides, you're human. Just like Bella."

Melaina frowned and glared at the boy. "Everything about the explanation makes me want to slap you."

Jake raised his eyebrows at her. "I wouldn't recommend it. You'd only harm yourself."

Mel huffed and turned to face the window once more. The next several minutes passed with only the sound of pattering rain on the car roof.

"Here we are!" Jacob announced. He pulled the VW onto a gravel driveway and shut off the car's rumbling engine. "Em's house is basically the pack house. You'll be staying here."

"Pack house?" Mel squeaked nervously. She cleared her throat and bit her bottom lip.

"Bella said that you needed constant contact with a wolf, so this was the best choice. Someone is always around hanging out, sleeping, or eating." He chuckled.

Manually unlocking his door, Jacob stepped out of the car into the downpour. He grabbed her lone bag from the backseat.

Mel was still strapped in and frozen in fear. Her heart was in her throat.

"I'm not getting any younger," Jacob joked as he waited by the closed passenger door. "Or older, for that matter."

Mel sucked in a breath of air before unstrapping the buckle and pulling up the lock in the door. She followed the Quileute boy across the yard and onto a small front porch. He entered the house without knocking, and Mel hesitantly trailed behind him.

"Emily!" Jacob called when he didn't see the wolf mother in the kitchen after they entered her home.

"She ran to the store." The deep voice came from a room off the kitchen. Jacob headed that way.

Following him like a lost puppy again, Mel found herself in a living room filled with several buff young men. The small couch couldn't supply all the butts in the room with a comfortable space, so some of the pack members sat around the TV on the carpeted floor.

Several sets of eyes turned to stare at Melaina. Anxiety rose in her chest as she was the center of attention. The sharp vampire smell filled the room, and their inner wolves grumbled lowly in complaint.

"Baby Cullen, this is Sam, Paul, Jared, and Embry. Boys, this is baby Cullen," Jacob introduced.

"Mel," she corrected softly. "I'm Mel." Sure, she was the youngest Cullen, but she could hardly be considered a baby at seventeen years old.

"Like, short for Melanie?" A boy with wavy dark hair and a dimpled grin piped up. If she remembered correctly, his name was Embry.

"Melaina, actually."

A closer look at the boy who spoke first sparked a memory. Embry. Sav's crush, Embry? The wolf curse had gifted the lanky Quileute some sleek muscles. She blushed and looked down when she realized she was staring.

The man at the center of the pale-yellow room stood from the worn couch. "I'm Sam, the Alpha of the Quileute wolf pack." He stuck out a tanned hand for her to shake.

Mel's subconscious reacted before her brain. She was mortified when she flinched away from Sam's outstretched hand. Eyes widened at her reaction, but no one said a word.

"I'm sorry." Mel wanted to curl up and die of embarrassment. "I didn't mean to." The power radiating from the Alpha triggered the reaction that was usually reserved for Jeremy Jackson.

She wondered if they saw the news years ago and connected the dots from Jeremy's arrest to her adoption by the Cullens.

Mel was honestly thankful when Jacob pulled her out of the crowded living room and up the wooden stairs.

"You'll meet Leah and Seth once they've gained better control. Quil should be coming around soon too."

Jacob stopped in front of a hall closet and opened the folding door.

"So now that introductions are out of the way, for the most part, the next order of business is a shower." The Quileute boy shoved a blue and brown striped bath towel into Mel's arms. "You stink."

"I rather like Alice's perfume." The words slipped out of her mouth with a hint of sass.

"That is not what I meant."

"I know, but I don't care what you think. I bet you smell to them as well."

"Whatever," Jacob scoffed.

He pushed her towards the upstairs bathroom and disappeared down the hall.

Mel sighed to herself before following Jacob's orders to rid herself of the Cullens' sweeter-than-gardenia scent.