Blame, Blame, Go Away

A solemn aura filled every corner and crevice of the Cullen home. The men were brainstorming ways to protect Mel--from loopholes to war. The women stuck to Mel's side like burrs on a pair of socks.

No one knew for sure when the Volturi would send somone after the human Cullen. Aro hadn't made a decision for the guards to find Mel, so Alice couldn't see that future path yet.

Alice continuously searched her visions for any signs. Jasper tried to keep the spirits up throughout his family, but it was hard to spread a feeling that he didn't feel himself.

Edward was sulking because something happened with Bella and her boy toy, Jacob. Emmett reigned in his usual jokes and filled every word with determination.

Carlisle took time off from work to spend it researching and planning with his family to protect Mel at all costs. Esme clung to her youngest daughter like she might disappear at any moment.

Alone time for Mel was rare, but for once, she didn't mind being constantly around her family. Who knew when it would be her last day?

Mel sighed to herself and pumped her legs to restart the movement of the bench swing when it had slowed to a stop.

Most of the Cullens were out hunting; those who were still at the house were scouring ancient books in a futile attempt for a loophole in the laws. Except Rosalie.

She was too frustrated with herself to focus on reading old texts. She had blamed Edward for being impulsive, but his actions were because of her own unthinking actions...

"It's all my fault."

Mel startled at Rosalie's melodic voice breaking the quiet atmosphere. "If I hadn't told Edward about Bella, then he wouldn't have gone to Volterra... Aro wouldn't have learned about you."

Rosalie's porcelain hands gripped the balcony railing. She didn't notice the splintering wood, but Mel could see it in the moonlight.

"All I ever wanted was to protect you, to keep you strong the way you are and now... I've just written and signed your death warrant." Rosalie's eyes could no longer produce tears, but the heartbreak was clear as day in her stormy dark eyes when she turned to look at her innocent human sister.

"You didn't know, Rosie. Carlisle told me about them, the Volturi. Even if Edward hadn't gone, there was always the chance of them checking in on the family." Mel tried to play it off like her world wasn't shattering around her. "It was only a matter of time before they knew."

"You were supposed to be grown up by then. Going to college, meeting the one, getting married, having children... Slowly forgetting about our kind."

"Whoa, what?" Mel shot up from the cushioned porch swing and stepped towards her blonde sister. "Is that what you expected? For me to just forget about you?" Anger tingled her fingertips and heated her insides.

"It would have been for the best." The blonde beauty's tone was void of emotion. She returned to staring out into the shadowed forest. "Human memories fade over time. You would have lived a normal life."

"I thought I was a Cullen! Does that mean nothing? What, like, once I go to college, I'm not allowed back?"

"Don't you get it?" Rosalie snarled and whipped around to face Mel. Her eyes were now solid onyx. "You're not going to college anymore! I've destroyed your future by being selfish!"

"You didn't know!" At that point, both girls were raising their voices at each other. "You didn't know that Edward would run off to die! You didn't know he would go to Aro! You didn't know, and I know that."

Tears streamed down Mel's cheeks in rivers of aggravation. "I don't blame you." Her voice broke. "It's okay."

"It is not okay!" Rosalie practically wailed. Her platinum hair whipped around her face, as if to emphasize her fury. "I've condemned you no matter what you choose!"

"I would have died anyways!"

The balcony door slid open, and their adoptive father stepped out onto the covered porch. "Girls, girls!" he intervened. "What is going on out here?"

There was no doubt that Carlisle, and the others inside, had heard the argument between the sisters, but the patriarch wanted them to explain themselves in their own words.

Both of his daughters spoke at the same time:

-- "Rosalie is blaming herself for the Volturi wanting to kill me."

-- "I'm the reason Edward left in the first place, and now Mel is going to die because of me."

"Melaina." Carlisle sighed slowly and rubbed his forehead in a very human-like fashion. "No one is to blame for risking your life more than I am." Carlisle took Mel's closest hand in between his two hands. "I don't regret taking you into our family, Melaina. We should have set more precautions, but it would only have held off the inevitable."

"Rosalie." He turned to face the blonde who had a scowl across her face and her arms folded against her chest. "Rose, you're honest and blunt, and you cannot take the blame for your brother's actions."

Carlisle gently wiped tears from Mel's face with the pads of his fingers. "We'll keep searching. The decision doesn't have to be rushed."

"I know that you're trying to save me... again... but I've made my choice. I'll be with my mother again. It's what I want."

As Mel said the words, she wondered if they were still true for her. Ever since her mother had passed away and her life went spiraling down because of Jeremy, Mel had thought about finally being with her mother again. Now that things were different, she found herself wondering, what about Esme?

Esme had stepped up to satisfy the gaping hole in Mel's heart and life when she took the role of adoptive mother to Mel. Would Esme forgive her for choosing Elizabeth?

~*~

In the end as you fade into the night, who will tell the story of your life? And who will remember your last goodbye?
'Cause it's the end, and I'm not afraid--I'm not afraid to die.