Tattoo

"I don't know what I should get," Melaina groaned to her best friend as they lounged on the Myers' living room couch.

Esme and Carlisle Cullen -- Melaina's official adoptive parents as of her birthday -- had agreed to Mel's idea to get a tattoo. The progress was currently at a standstill since Mel couldn't decide on a design.

"It has to mean something to me..." Mel paused and then dramatically slapped her leg as an idea cross her mind. "How would a chocolate bar look on my wrist? Or what about a collage of candy?"

"You know I'd be all for that," Sav said with a grin.

"Maybe if I get another in the future," the brunette decided. "This one has to be special, like some kind of design that will cover my entire under wrist."

Savannah flipped through more photos online. "You could do a lock and key. That's a good metaphor and there are some really pretty designs." She turned the screen so Mel could see some examples.

"What if I combine ideas? Like, things that mean something to me. My mother's necklace, the Cullen crest... Maybe my astrological sign?"

Sav lit up like a Christmas tree. "I could draw it out! Give me a second." She jumped off the couch and disappeared to her bedroom. The artist returned with a sketchpad and charcoal pencil.

~♡~♡~♡~♡~

"Mom! I'm going to La Push." Sav's sister called as she rounded to corner into the living room. "Oh, you're not Mom," Hannah said upon seeing Sav and Mel.

Sav and Mel looked at each other. "I wonder if La Push has--"

"--a tattoo shop?" Sav finished what Mel started to say.

"Can we catch a ride with you, please?" Melaina asked the older girl.

Hannah shrugged. "Sure. I'm babysitting, but I can drop you off at the shops first."

"Let's go get you some new ink!" Sav cheered. She picked up her sketchbook before they all headed to Hannah's hand-me-down Ultima.

Hannah was starting up the rust bucket when Melaina's phone rang.

Call from Alice in Wonderland.

Shit, Mel forgot a minor detail.

She answered the call to avoid a bigger problem later: "Heyyy."

"What are you up to?" Alice asked. Her voice was light and casual.

"Esme and Carlisle said that I could get a tattoo, so Sav and I are going to a shop."

"Where is this shop?" Her pixie sister asked. "And who's driving?"

"It's just outside of Forks. I'll be back in time for dinner," Mel hedged. "Hannah is taking us."

Alice stopped pretending that she didn't know where Mel's future was headed. "You're going to La Push."

"Is that a problem?" She didn't mean to add so much attitude to her tone, but she was annoyed.

Sav waved for Mel's attention and mouthed, "What's wrong?"

Mel shook her head. "Alice is trying to tell me that I can't go to La Push."

"What? Why?"

Alice heard Sav and said to Mel, "For one, you're not eighteen. Who is going to sign for permission to get ink?"

Mel paused. "Sav checked. It's a tribal shop, and they have looser laws about tattoos on the res." She swore that Alice growled.

"Alice, if you're not straight with me about your beef with the natives, then I'm not going to be influenced by your bias."

"I'm not--"

Mel cut her off. "Bye, Alice."

"It's not my secret to tell," she rushed before Mel could hang up.

"What?" Why did that girl always have to speak in riddles?

"Just trust me when I say that the hatred goes both ways. Our family is not wanted on the Quileute lands. That's all I can say right now."

"Wait, does that include me?"

"I would advise you to not go around advertising that you're a Cullen..."

Mel sighed. She figured the problem was something to do with her family being supernatural.

"Call me later so I know that you're okay?" Alice requested. "Please?"

"Okay, yes, I will."

~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~

"I'm still alive!" Melaina announced to her youngest new sister through the phone. The entire inking process had taken several long hours.

"How did it go?"

Mel shrugged, though Alice couldn't see. "It was a weird sensation, but Sav's design is beautiful. I can't wait to show you all."

"We're excited to see it. When will you be home?"

"Hannah won't be done for another hour, so we'll leave right after that."

"Sounds good. Be careful."

After hanging up with her overprotective sister, Mel and Sav wandered down the coast on First Beach.

Melaina's arm was wrapped in plastic like a container of leftover lasagna. She had to take special care not to let the tattooed area get infected, so she pulled her hoodie sleeve over her left arm as well to prevent blowing sand from somehow getting to the newly inked skin.

The best friends messed around at the edge of the cold water, laughing and talking as their boots squished through the wet sand.

Waiting for Savannah's older sister to drive from the house she was babysitting at to the beach, Sav and Mel found a dry spot to sit on a rock away from the crashing waves. They took the time to stalk-- no, observe-- some copper-skinned teenagers playing Frisbee.

Hannah broke their daydreaming with the honk of her Ultima's deep horn.

Mel stood up and pulled Sav to her feet. She couldn't wait to show the Cullens her new tattoo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, lovelies. If anyone has the artistic ability to create a visual of Melaina's tattoo by Sav, I will dedicate your favorite chapter to you, as well as give you a shout out in this one. I would love to see your designs! Cullen crest, plus Gemini symbol, plus charm necklace. ♡

Thanks for reading!

~*~

Thank you KaitlinJarvis for sharing your beautiful design of Mel's tattoo!!