Lahote

Hi, lovelies. This chapter is right after "Sam Uley." The last part was removed, but it will be added back in a few more updates. I felt that it was rushed, so I've slowed it down... Thanks for being patient with me! I apologize for the wait <3

*****************************

Emily Young smiled brightly at her houseguest as Mel came down the stairs in a band tee and pajama pants. She pulled her hair into a ponytail at the nape of her neck with the faded purple ends resting across one shoulder as she walked.

"Good morning, Mel. How did you sleep?" Emily asked.

"Mornin'." Mel gave a half-assed wave. "I slept okay, thanks. What are you making?"

Emily was stirring a whisk through batter in a yellow non-skid bowl with one hand, while wiping down crumbs on the counter with the other. She had the multitasking abilities that Mel could only dream of having. "Bacon, egg, and cheese casserole."

"Do you need any help?" Mel hovered in the kitchen doorway. Her stomach grumbled.

"It's about ready to go into the oven but thank you." Emily poured the mixture of egg, shredded cheese, and diced bacon into a rectangle pan.

Balancing the glass pan on her arm, Emily opened the oven and slid the raw casserole onto the top metal shelf. "Breakfast will be ready in about 45 minutes." She set the timer, then turned to Mel with a smile.

"Is there anything you'd like to do today?" Emily wiped her hands on her white apron before taking it off. She set it on the back of a chair. "We have to stay on the reservation, but there is plenty we can do."

Mel twisted a strand of hair around her finger. "I was actually wondering if I could go for a run? Just down the beach."

Mel had been thinking about it since she woke up that morning. Her anxiety continued to blast through her at full speed, so Mel thought that running would calm her.

"That's a great idea. Exercise sends pleasure signals to the brain, which acts as an antidepressant. Are you feeling alright?" Genuine concern sparkled in her light brown eyes.

Mel nodded. "Just the usual. My-- Carlisle suggested running to help with my anxiety. I figured having a scenic landscape like the beach would be a good place to try it out." She shrugged.

The front door slammed open, causing both girls to jump at the suddenly loud sound. "I swear..." Emily muttered under her breath as she turned to chew out the incoming wolf. It ended up being two wolves: Paul and Embry.

"Boys!" Emily scolded. They froze in the middle of fooling around. "If you break my door again, Paul--" She threatened.

The hothead raised his hands in defense with a smirk gracing his lips. "I know, I know. You'll throw me to the wolves."

Mel breathed a laugh through her nose. She glanced at the timer on the stove, then stood. "Is it okay if I head out now?" the Cullen asked her temporary guardian. "It'll be quick. I'll be back before breakfast."

"Yes, that's alright," Emily agreed, "if you keep your phone on you."

"I will," Mel promised. She backed away from the crowd to get changed in her borrowed bedroom.

Reappearing ten minutes later in capris yoga pants and a white and black BVB tank top, Mel waved goodbye to Emily and left the house through the front door. She tucked her phone in her sports bra as she started to walk down the gravel driveway.

The door closed again a few seconds later. Mel looked back to see Paul jogging down the steps in a pair of basketball shorts. She paused when he headed towards her. "Do you mind if I tag along?"

Mel couldn't hide her surprise. "Really? Why?"

He shrugged and stuffed his hands into his pockets. "I like to run."

"Well... alright. I'm heading to the beach."

"I'll race you."

~*~

Waves lapping at the shore almost hid the sounds of Mel gasping for air as they ran across the sand. She was way out of shape, especially compared to the wolf in human skin.

The light wind held the scent of upcoming rain. Clouds gathered over the ocean as if promoting the slogan "April showers bring May flowers."

"Hey, I'm sorry," Paul admitted suddenly. He didn't break his stride, but Mel faltered her steps. "About the other day. I judged your family without knowing the whole story."

"Um, thank you?" She sucked in a breath to keep speaking while she ran. "What made you change your mind?"

"Sam's talk with you yesterday. We saw it through his memories. I didn't realize that was why you ended up with the bl--" He made a face. "Cullens."

Mel didn't respond. She was partly embarrassed by her past and partly horrified that everyone knew what had happened.

Paul explained that he knew what it was like to grow up with a shitty father. "My lineage is what saved me. My parents divorced when I was eight; Mom stayed in Tacoma, but my dad took me back here to La Push where he was from. He was-- is-- an alcoholic. It's probably what caused my parents to separate, but it got worse when we came here. I grew up in a house of angry energy, and I had an uncontrollable temperament, even before being a wolf. When I phased was a wakeup call for me, so I moved out and bought a place with Jared. Sam is helping me with my anger."

Mel had heard what he said, but for some reason, one thing stood out. "Paul, what is your last name?"

The native didn't realize that Mel had stopped moving until he was several feet down the beach while she was left in his dust. "Lahote, why?" He turned back around and took in her terrified face.

"There was a guy that my dad and uncle would drink with. He was from the rez. Aaron Lahote?"

"That's him," Paul said grimly. Mel tried to swallow or breathe but ended up choking on air. "Melaina?" He was right beside her in an instant. "What's wrong? Did he hurt you?" The words came out a growl.

She was remembering the times she most wanted to forget. The memories of smoky air and drunken words filled her mind. Simon getting too close for comfort. Aaron laughing at her uncle's advances. Her own step-father beating her black and blue.

Mel clutched her head as it throbbed. She could hear Paul calling to her frantically, but it sounded distant and disoriented. She collapsed into herself with a sob.

"Come out and play, Mellie."

"You embarrass me!"

"You'd better cover that. I don't need another phone call from school."

"Selfish brat. You're pathetic. Your mother would be ashamed at how weak you've become."

"Say a word to anyone about this, and I will end you."

Paul caught the teary-eyed girl when she slumped and faded.