Grad Party

The endless Cullen driveway was lit by twinkling lights intertwined in the trees. After the ceremony the day before, Alice had been buzzing around the house nonstop to prepare for Mel and Bella's graduation party.

Mel wore a simple blue dress that Rosalie helped her pick out. She watched Alice do last minute prep as she braided her hair from her spot beside Esme on the couch.

Edward chose the music to play over the ginormous speaker system that was set up in the living room. The doorbell rang, and a Boston song started to drift through the house as the party started.

Guests arrived in groups, likely too nervous or intimidated to arrive on their own. People were curious as their gazes took in the inside of the huge room decked out like a chic rave.

As soon as Savannah arrived, Mel snatched her best friend to sneak away into her room.

Mel locked her bedroom door behind them, a needless attempt to stop the overzealous pixie from dragging the girls out to socialize.

Sav released her armload of snacks onto Mel's queen bed. "Thank goodness Doritos exist."

Mel opened a red bag and crunched happily. "These make this stupid party worthwhile."

"I heard that!" Alice called from outside Mel's bedroom door, which opened to reveal the frowning pixie. "Come downstairs. You didn't even try."

Mel pouted. "Too many people."

Alice paused, a look crossing her face, and Mel briefly worried that she was actually mad. "There's someone here to see you."

Realization made Mel's eyes light up to a soft green. "He came!" She pushed herself to her feet from the floor. "Sav, you have to meet Seth." Her Doritos were left forgotten.

Alice had disappeared, but Mel didn't notice as she dragged Savannah downstairs to the front hall. Releasing Sav's hand, Mel charged towards Seth who was standing beside the two awkward wolf boys, Paul and Jacob.

Seth caught her in a hug with a happy laugh. She stepped back to introduce her best friend to her imprint. "Savannah, this is Seth Clearwater. Seth, this is Savannah Myers."

"Nice to meet you!"

"Likewise," Seth said with a soft smile towards the blonde girl. "I've heard so much about you."

Mel turned towards Paul. "Paul, Savannah. And Sav, you've already met Jacob."

Jacob was already absorbed in Bella. He brought her a hand carved wolf charm as a gift. Mel rolled her eyes.

Another wave of seniors with some juniors intermixed entered the front hall and pushed past. Mel squished closer to Seth. Sav stepped towards Paul to avoid being trampled.

Melaina was pleasantly surprised that Paul had sucked up his prejudices and entered the Cullen home. He hadn't seemed too thrilled when she asked him and Seth to come to the party.

"Thank you both for coming," Mel told the wolves as they found a spot by the fireplace to stand more comfortably. "Sorry it's so crowded. Alice invited a lot of people." She took in a dizzying array of unfamiliar faces. "Most of them I don't even know."

"I wouldn't have missed this for the world."

~*~

They were packed so close together in the living room that Mel could feel when Paul tensed.

"What's wrong?" Her voice was a whisper, but he was no doubt able to hear over the drumbeat of the current rock song.

Mel followed Paul's gaze to where Jacob stood hovering over Alice and Bella at the foot of the stairs.