Sam Uley

"So you can throw me to the wolves -- Tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack.
Beat me black and blue -- Every wound will shape me, every scar will build my throne..." ♪ - Throne by BMTH

~*~

Melaina woke up the next morning with a wave of confusion at her surroundings. Then she remembered that she was staying in the Uley guestroom for an indefinite amount of time.

Sliding on her purple-framed glasses, Mel checked her phone for any updates from the Cullens. There was still nothing. She sighed and rolled out of bed to get dressed for her first official day with the pack.

~*~

A low hum echoed through the house as Emily used an electronic mixer in the kitchen. The pack members were out and about doing what they do on another rainy day in La Push. While Emily was preparing lunch, Mel idly watched some crime show on the Ion channel.

Sam came into the quaint living room and cleared his throat to get his house guest's attention. Mel turned down the TV. "Yes?"

"For your safety, I'm going to lay down some ground rules while you're living under my roof."

Mel pursed her lips at Sam's words. She wasn't a fan of rules. If he saw her annoyed look, he didn't react to it.

"First, no wandering farther than our yard at night. You are under the pack's protection, and we aren't taking any chances with your safety."

Mel nodded; that rule wasn't unreasonable. He continued.

"Next, meds stay in the kitchen from now on. The doctor mentioned your daily dose for anxiety, so I am aware of the bottle of pills."

Mel frowned but didn't respond. If they knew that...

"Along those lines," Sam said carefully, "we will be watching for any signs of relapse."

Mel couldn't help herself from becoming defensive. "And why do you care about that?"

"You went through a trauma that no kid should have to suffer." So, Sam did know about Jeremy, which meant his entire pack likely did too.

Mel huffed. "It has nothing to do with that," the human Cullen muttered and crossed her arms.

"It has everything to do with that," the pack leader disagreed firmly.

"You wouldn't understand. No one does. Don't assume." Mel glared at the muted screen in front of her. She tried to keep her surfacing tears at bay.

Sam opened his mouth to say something, then closed it with a sigh through his nose.

Mel bit her lip and blinked her eyes quickly. She stood to escape to her designated bedroom.

"Wait." A heated hand caught her arm gently. "Hold on a moment, Melaina." Sam's voice was careful and calm. "Let me share something with you, if I may."

He released his physical hold on the girl, so Mel lowered herself down on the edge of the couch cushion.

Sam paused to sit on the opposite end of the small couch facing Mel. "I was one of those kids too," he told her; his voice was as unwavering as his gaze on her.

Mel turned her head and met his eyes unsurely. "What?"

He licked his lips and began to explain: "My father was harsh and abusive when I was young. He drank. He slept around. He had no respect for his family or the tribe. He... He pushed me to want control," Sam admitted. "I wanted to be in charge of who I was and what happened to my body."

Mel was flabbergasted at the man's honesty. His story was sounding scarily similar to hers...

"I made choices that I can't take back," he continued. "My father, Joshua, was exiled for his behavior. He's gone, but the scars remain a part of me. Today, I am Alpha, leader of my pack. That wasn't always the case."

Sam sighed and rubbed his chin. "There was a time when I harmed myself too. Before I was a shifter. But I found that trying to burn the feelings away wasn't the answer. You can find control in more ways than allowing your addiction to do as it pleases."

The brunette was at a loss for words. Tears pricked at her eyes and a single droplet escaped down her cheek.

"So yes, Mel, I do understand addiction. I've lived through abuse, and I've turned to self-harm. In the end, what it means to gain control is reaching towards the light and letting it lead you." The pack Alpha continued to explain: "Emily is my light, my guide, my anchor. Once you find your light, control holds a new meaning, and you'll become a stronger person from the lessons learned in times of darkness."

Melaina swallowed the lump in her throat. Her words still sounded tearful. "How are you so wise?"

A small smile graced his lips. "I am considered an Elder on the council now. It must come with the title."

Mel swiped a stray droplet that rolled down her cheek. "I'll admit, I am a little overwhelmed. You aren't as... as stoic as I initially thought." She focused on her hands twisting around each other as she spoke. "Thank you for sharing your story with me, though it's a dreadful thing to connect over."

"Not everyone is as they seem," Sam agreed. His tone became lighter as he teased, "You live in a world of vampires and wolf shifters, you should know this."

Mel groaned dramatically. "I'm only human, leave me alone."

Sam and Mel sat in comfortable silence for a moment, both deep in thought. She turned her curious eyes on Sam as a question filtered through her mind. "You said Emily's your light, right? How did you meet her? Because there's no doubt that she's the one for you."

Melaina had no way of knowing that her innocent question would dredge up wounds from the past, but Sam remained calm and even smiled when he spoke of his beautiful fiancée.

The alpha modified his story in a way that was deceiving but not actually a lie.

Emily Young had come down to La Push from the Makah lands to visit her family for the holidays. She was second cousins of Seth and Leah Clearwater, the two wolves that Mel had yet to meet. When Sam had run into the beautiful native woman, he fell in love at first sight.

After admitting their feelings to each other, the two officially became a couple, but it wasn't easy with Sam still getting used to phasing and patrolling. He lost his temper, and she was standing too close...

What should have torn the two souls apart only brought them closer together; Emily forgave him, but he would spend the rest of his life with a guilty conscious for the damage he had caused.

Sam didn't mention that he was dating Leah when it happened.

He didn't mention that Emily was more than his fiancée--she was his imprint.

He didn't mention that he sensed she was one too.