Chapter 3

"Jess, you are such a cheater!" Megan yelled, throwing her cards at our auburn-haired friend. She was yelling, but her face didn't match. She was all laughs and giggles.

"I am not!" Jess scoffed, putting her hand to heart in mock offense. "I cannot believe that you would even suggest that."

From my position on Jess's bed I fiddled with my polaroid and I giggled. Jess had a knack for cheating at Uno, though she would say differently. She was full of crap though. Honestly, I didn't know how she even cheated at Uno. I knew there were a few ways, but she found a new way to cheat every time. Jess was a lot smarter than I gave her credit for.

"Yes, you are! I saw you swipe the wild card before we played!"

But Megan was a lot smarter.

"Sorry, Meg, but you can't prove it. If you want to confront me you should document it next time. Don't be such a sore loser," Jess defended, sticking her nose in the air and crossing her arms. Sometimes, Jess was not as mature as she seemed. At that moment, she looked like a child. Her chestnut hair was in a high ponytail and she had Captain America shield pajamas on. Her movements even resembled those of a seven-year-old.

Noticing her pajamas, I rolled my eyes. Jess's obsession with Captain America was ridiculous. Two years ago, she declared the supersoldier her favorite avenger and has since bought as much Captain America merch as she could get her hands on--or as much as her parents allowed. Of course though, she didn't let anyone else besides Megan, her family, and I know about the obsession. She was a closet Captain America nerd. When I asked her why she loved Captain America more than the other Avengers she had said, "He is totally make-out worthy." And when I told her that he probably in his thirties, she told me where I could shove it--in less kind words.

I asked Megan once and she said Thor. Apparently, she thought he looked sturdy.

All the laughter from Megan's face earlier dissipated. "Fine, we'll play again. Kara, I need you to watch this cheater and if she does anything shifty, then take a picture," Megan ordered, throwing her cards at Jess's face. The daggers she sent Jess told me that Competitive Megan was coming out.

I scoffed, "Heck no, that is a waste of a polaroid." I began fiddling with my camera again and decided to take a picture. I never wanted to forget the irritation on Megan's glaring face and the smug smile on Jess's. The picture came out of the bottom and I began shaking it.

"Then I'm not playing again, find another game Jess." Megan's olive-skinned face scowled at the both of us. At Jess for cheating, and at me for not agreeing to help her catch Jess in the act. It was rare when Competitive Megan gave up, she only did when she was really irritated.

"You know, sometimes I wonder how you hold so much anger in that skinny little body of yours," Jess joked, not taking Meg's anger seriously.

Jess never took anything seriously. Last year during Spring Finals, she forgot to study for all of her finals. I told her that she was being stupid and should've studied for them, and she said, "It's okay, if my life ends up being a wreck because I forgot to study for my finals then I'll just become a stripper or something."

I knew she was joking, but I still wonder sometimes.

"I'm taller than you!" Megan exclaimed, throwing a pillow in Jess's direction. It was true, she really was taller, but she was the thinnest of all us which made her seem shorter than she was. She only seemed her size when standing next to me. A towering 5'7'' over my 5'3" body.

Not only did our height differ so much, but pretty much the rest of us. She had been blessed with a beautiful olive complexion, while I--because of my Irish heritage--had been born with as fair of a complexion as it comes. I only had two shades: ghost white and strawberry red. Our hair contrasted also, where her's was a beautiful raven black mine was a light golden blonde. We looked like complete opposites.