Chapter 22

I didn't know exactly what I was thinking when I stepped out into the hallway, the hood of the green jacket over my hair and the sequined mask covering my face. The only real thought I had was this: don't let Peter die.

The Shocker still had his hands on Peter's neck, cutting the air off. Panicking and reacting fast, I sent a dart towards the Shocker's chest, hoping it would knock him unconscious. I waited a second for it work, but it never did. His clothes were thick, it probably never even reached his skin.

I looked to Peter, the eyes on his mask were closed and he had stopped struggling as much as he was earlier.

I panicked; I was running out of options and Peter was running out of air.

Forcing my powers to work, I took a deep breath and did my best to summon a vine. I used my powers like this every once in a while, but every time I did it took massive amounts of focus.

The vine grew and followed my control. I could feel it living as I coaxed it to grow, making it big and strong enough to be useful. I could feel the plant as if it was my own arm. It was as if we were one. Every time I used my powers I became shocked at how natural and easy it felt, how the plants I control become a part of me. There's like some magnetic pull that morphs me into one of them.

Using all my power, I flicked the vine in the direction of Herman, the tip hitting him in the face and knocking him off balance. Peter was free.

I immediately moved to Peter's side as he began to cough violently, air finally entering his lungs.

"Who are-" he tried to say before he cut himself off with a violent cough.

"You need to get up, Peter," I said, grabbing his arm and forcing him up. "The Shocker won't be out for long and we need to get out of here."
"Kara?" Peter asked, trying to distinguish my features through the masquerade mask.

I didn't respond, just flashed him a knowing smile.

"What are you doing out here? You're gonna get killed," he said, as he stood up, almost in perfect condition again. Almost no sign that he had been struggling for breath twenty seconds ago.

Wow, he really rebounded fast.

I narrowed my eyes at him, although he probably couldn't tell through the mask.

"If I hadn't come out then you would've been killed," I said, and then smirked, "And anyways, I couldn't let you die. We have a science project to finish."

I barely heard him mumble a "whatever" under his breath and although I couldn't see his face cause of his mask, I could tell he was smiling a little bit.

"We really should get out of here though," I said.

Peter nodded and replied, "Yeah, good call."
We got a couple steps down the hall before there was an angry cry behind us.

Peter and I turned to see Herman standing up, pounding his fist against the locker. He was probably mad he kept getting his butt kicked by a couple of teenagers.

"Kara, you need to leave," Peter said, stepping in front of me and pushing me back a bit.
I scoffed, "Do I need to remind you what happened last time you tried to fight him? I'm staying."

He turned to look at me, ready to lecture me on my lack of self-preservation.

"You're get yourself hurt, you need to go and I will handle it."

"Come off of it, Peter, I am—" I planned to finish my sentence, but from behind Peter, I saw Herman fling a random table at the two of us. Taking advantage of our arguing.