Chapter 16

Herman walked into the lit room, a frown etched onto his face. He didn't bother knocking when he came in, instead he threw the door open and sauntered to the woman slaving over a lab desk.

    "You didn't tell me that he was going to be there," Herman said, slamming his metal glove onto the desk, disrupting her research.

    The women pushed her cat-eye glasses up nose and resumed her work, without looking at him. "I didn't know he would be there either."

    "Bull crap."

    Finally, the woman looked up from what she was working on and glared at Herman, "I don't if you could tell, but psychic powers doesn't seem to be a skill I possess."

    "Could've fooled me," Herman scoffed, setting his empty bag down.

    "Did you get what I asked for at least?" She asked, standing up from her previous spot and walking to a different lab table.

Herman scoffed, "Did you not here what I just told you? That Spider-Guy was there, he stopped me before I could even get a chance."

"I didn't expect that one simple hero in tights would be able to stop you, Herman," the woman said.

"If it's so easy then why don't you just get the materials yourself?" he asked, walking over to where she was standing. Although she couldn't see him, she knew that he was behind her.

Slipping a pair of sleek, gloves, she responded, irritation coating her words, "I would, Herman, but although I may be a genius, I can't do everything at once. I need someone out there doing the heavy lifting while I finish my work in here."

"You are still wanting me to do that? Even though Spider-Man is now on to us?" Herman asked with his own irritation.

"Yes. Is that a problem?" the dark-haired woman asked as she turned to another lab table to grab something. It looked techie and Herman had no idea what it could possibly be.

"He only stopped the last operation I was working on. He could do it again, and I am not going back to jail," he was yelling now, but she still didn't turn to look at him.

"Oh, I am counting on Spider-Man coming to stop us. And unlike your last boss, I am not going to let sentiment get in the way of this operation. Trust me, Herman, I know what I am doing," she said, wearing a cat-like smile as she finally turned to face Herman.

Her eagerness unsettled him and of all the feelings he was feeling, trust wasn't one of them.

Herman took his shocking glove off and dumped the empty duffel on the ground. "You know what, you are crazy. I am out, I am not going back to jail so you're gonna have to find a new lackey."

Herman didn't even get a foot away before his face was slammed into the hard metal of a lab desk.

"Don't try my patience," the woman said as she clutched the man's face between her hands.

Usually, Herman would be able to fight someone of her size off, but he suddenly felt tired and unable to move.

"What did you do to me?" he asked as he attempted to pry her hand off his face, with no such luck.

"I'm not doing anything, Herman," she said, raising her eyebrows in false innocence, her voice disgustingly sweet.

"The gloves, what are in the gloves?"

"Oh yes that, a new experiment I'm working on. The gloves possess a chemical that I can activate. It's stronger than chloroform, but it keeps the person you are using it on conscious. Quite handy, I might add," she sneered.

"Let me go," Herman groaned, urging his limbs to cooperate but they didn't.

"There was a reason I chose to free you rather than Toomes. I have a lot of faith in you, and I suggest you don't disappoint me," she whispered into his ear. Releasing him, she stepped away and motioned with her hand. "Follow me."

The feeling in his arms and legs returned, though he still felt sluggish. Picking himself from off the table, he followed her into another dark room.

    "Why did you pick me?" Herman asked, rubbing his arm that hit the metal of the desk.

    "Because you let nothing get in the way of the task. The reason Toomes is in jail is because he chose to show that Spider-Man mercy. Lucky for the both of us, you won't."

    Herman just grunted at her response, until an idea popped into his head. "But what about Spider-Man? How do you plan we keep him from stopping us?"

    "Because," she said, grinning, "while we are doing what we need to do, he'll be too busy dealing with these."

She flicked the light on and Herman's face grew into a large smile and cursed under his appreciatively.

"Well," the woman turned to him, "shall we get started?"

A/N: So I know that this was a really short chapter, but I couldn't figure out how to add the next chapter with this one, so this one is just really short. But it is really important! And sorry it took me forever to finally update, but I just started college and have been swamped with homework! Well, love y'all!

Katharine :)