Chapter 14

Frozen in place, I stared at Spider-Man, who was also frozen in place.

"You have superpowers," he whispered to himself, and I could barely hear him. He then spoke again, repeating himself, "You have superpowers!"

I began shaking my head. Although the evidence of my powers were wrapped around a man in front of us, I still felt the need to deny everything.

"No, no I don't," I denied, stepping back.

Laughing, Spider-Man pointed at the man I had wrapped in my vines, "Then what do you call that?"

"Umm..." I honestly had no answer.

Oddly, Spider-Man seemed excited. Like he was happy to meet someone else who had superpowers. Maybe he was, and maybe he would keep my secret because of that reason. But I still didn't want to chance it.

"I can't believe that you have superpowers!" Spider-Man exclaimed. "And you can control plants, too. Geez, that's sweet." The hero started pacing back and forth, talking to himself more than he was talking to me. "I wonder if there's like a scientific name for your powers or something," he thought aloud.

I crossed my arms, trying to look like I actually had gained my composure. I didn't. "Um, I don't have superpowers and I can't control plants," I stated, attempting to convince him of my lie.

He stopped pacing and turned to me, "There's an unconscious guy over there that begs to differ." He peered at me, walking closer, "How did you do that anyways?"

I stood my ground as he approached me, "I didn't."

I was an awful liar and had been told on many occasions that I shouldn't even attempt at it. I was great at seeing through other people's lies, but I couldn't tell any of my own. Though I'm sure even if I was a good liar that he still wouldn't believe me. My recent act of heroism had been enough proof for him.

Maybe if I knocked him out, he would wake up thinking it was a dream. It was a slim chance, but worth a shot. And I knocked him out then that would free me of his questions. I at lease needed to find a way out of here and get home.
My parents were going to kill me.

"Do you spit venom or something? Cause that would be so cool," Spider-Man asked, thinking out loud.

"What?" I scoffed, defensively, "No. It's not like I'm a bug or something dumb like that." Once I realized what I had just said, I clamped over my mouth. I couldn't see through his mask if he was offended or not, but I still felt a little bit like a jerk. Which was ridiculous considering I had no idea who he was.

The eyes on Spider-Man's suit narrowed at me and he cocked his head to side.

I pointed my index finger out and said, "Technically, a spider isn't a bug."

Spider-Man just shook his head, forgetting about about my comment. Then, the questions started again.

"How'd you get your powers anyways?" He asked, there no harshness in his voice, only curiosity.

I didn't answer him, I was too distracted by the familiarity in his voice. I knew I heard him before, but I just couldn't place where.

But who knew if I actually did. I just almost got attacked by three men, so I was probably going a bit insane.

Without answering Spider-Man, I walked down towards the alley. I was tired, I almost just got attacked, and all I wanted in this moment was the comfort of my bed and sun lamp.

"Whoa, where are you going?" Spider-Man questioned, swinging from a web and landing in front of me.

"Home," was all I said, as I tried moving around him. Didn't work.

Stepping in front of me, "So you won't tell me anything about your powers then?"

Once again, I attempted to move around the masked hero. "There's nothing to tell."

"Oh come on, I know I didn't make up what you just did back there."

"Well, you must've because I didn't do anything," I responded.

No matter how many times I attempted to walk around him, he stepped in front of me. He was much quicker than I was so it was useless so keep trying.

"Look, Spider-Man is it? I'm tired and I almost attacked. Thanks for saving me and all, but I want to go home," I spat, narrowing my eyes at the hero.

For a superhero, he sure was annoying.

"Can you just answer one question? Then you can go," he asked, still sounding excited.
He obviously didn't understand how irritated I was at the moment.

"This is ridiculous," I murmured, rolling my eyes. Using my powers, I summoned a vine to knock him out of the way. I knew it would only prove that I did have powers, but I was too tired to care.

Once again though, Spider-Man was too quick.
"Woah, hey, Kara, no need for that," he said, dodging the vine by jumping onto the wall.

My hand dropped at the mention of my name. He had said it a year ago too, I remembered.

"Who are you?" I asked.

The hero looked down at his costume, and then back at me. "Umm... Spider-Man."

"How do you know my name?" I interrogated further.

"I-I don't know your name," he lied.

"You just said it!" I replied, motioning my hand at him for effect. "And I recognize your voice."

Spider-Man murmured something under his breath that I couldn't make out, and when he spoke again he sounded completely different. His voice was older and deeper.

"You recognize my voice?" he asked in his fake voice.

"Why does your voice sound different?"

"It doesn't."

"I'm not stupid, I know your voice changed. Do you have a voice changer or something?" I asked narrowing my eyes.

Spider-Man didn't have time to answer before an explosion came from the end of the alley I came through. Turning my head, I noticed light shining from where the explosion must've been.

Without thinking, I slowly walked to where the explosion had taken place. Spider-Man jumped down in front of me, looking at the light before he turned to me.

"What do you think you are doing?" he whispered so only the two of us could hear.

"I was just going to—"

"Get yourself killed?" he interrupted.
"Goodness, Kara, you really need to learn some self-preservation skills."

Realizing he was right, I backed away, getting ready to run if I needed to.

Suddenly, another burst of light flooded the alley and the walls shook. I couldn't tell if any debris fell though, because of how bright the light was.

"Okay, your house isn't far from here—"

"How do you know that?" I asked before he could finish speaking, my eyes still squinted from the brightness.

"Not the time. I want you to leave and go there now. Kay?"

"Wait what?"

"For Heaven's sake, just go," he replied, giving me a shove in the other direction. There was another explosion and Spider-Man left me and swung in the direction of the light.

It only took me a second longer to gather my wits and run the other way without looking back.

A/N: Okay, so I know it's been forever since I last updated, but it's been a super busy week! And sorry this chapter is a bit shorter, but I wanted to get something out there for you guys to read. Thanks for being so great and sorry again!

Love,
Katharine