Chapter 5

Without Megan and Jess, lunch was utterly boring. The three of us had a routine. I would get the peanut butter and jelly sandwich and give the orange that came with it to Jess. Jess would get the the yogurt parfait and give me her strawberries. Then, we both gave our salads to Megan. The same thing everyday. It was a routine that I had grown accustomed to.

    Grabbing my sandwich, I sat at my spot on the edge of a table. It was where most of the sophomores sat, save a few. Usually Jess was the one who talked to the people our age, I jumped half the time, but I just liked to listen. Megan wasn't very interactive during lunch, though. She was usually working on her homework while she ate her salad mindlessly.

    "Hey Kara," a deep voice said behind me as he sat a few seats from me. Cole Fields.

    My insides felt queasy again, not because I was sick but because there were now a million little butterflies in my stomach. Looking over, I saw Cole in all his tanned-golden hair glory. He was one of the more well-liked guys in the 10th grade and with one glance at him, it was obvious why. He was tall and had golden curls that contrasted perfectly against his bronzed skin. And his blue eyes rivaled the Caribbean, not even joking.

    It took me a moment before I remembered how to use words again, "Oh hey, Cole." My voice sounded rushed and panicky and I winced.

    "No Megan or Jess today?" Cole asked, his perfect eyebrows drew in quizzically.

    I cleared my throat, "No, they're sick again." Sitting up straighter, I tried to make myself look more casual than I felt.

    He blew out a breath. "Wow, must be some bug they've got."

    I forced myself to laugh, but when it sounded weird I stopped. "Um yeah, I think they have a virus or something."

    "Has Megan missed a single day of school, ever?" Cole asked, an amused smile on his lips. It took all of my willpower to stop staring at his wonderfully, full lips.

    I laughed, genuinely this time. "No, not really."

    Cole laughed too, and it made me want to tell him jokes all day just so I could hear it more. "Yeah, she probably won't be too happy about missing then."

    I smiled, losing myself in dreamy gaze. My brain turned into mush as I looked at his pearly whites. He probably didn't even need braces, he was probably born with perfect teeth. I didn't know what else to say, my brain too preoccupied, so I just said, "Yeah," dreamily.

    He flashed a knowing smile, most likely knowing that I found him completely attractive. But who didn't? "Well, could you tell them that I hope they get better soon?"

    "Yeah."

    And with my answer, he turned to his lunch.

    Inside, I was screaming. That was the longest conversation I had with Cole. We had exchanged pleasantries before, but we never actually had a conversation. I made a mental note to thank Jess and Megan for staying home sick today. At least one good thing came out of it. Jess would be angry though, when she finds out I talked to Cole without her being there to witness it. For the past year she had been urging me to go up and talk to him, but I was a wuss and chickened out every time.

    Turning my attention back to my sandwich, I smiled. Maybe today wouldn't be so bad after all.

    After my conversation with Cole, the rest of the day seemed dull. My classes dragged on as I waited for the bell to ring, ending the day. I also had ample of amounts of makeup work in Biology, Pre-Calculus, and American Sign Language.