Chapter 20

"What the eff just happened?" Jess asked, messing with her nonexistent split ends.

I sunk to the floor, placing my hands against my forehead. "I don't even know."

"Well, now I know who Spider-Man is," Jess said, to no one in particular," I don't know whether to be disappointed or not... I mean Peter's a cute guy and all, but he's no Capt—"

I stared at my curly headed friend, "Is this seriously all you took from what just happened?"

From my twin bed, Megan finally spoke up, "Yeah, I'm with Kara on this one, I don't think that's what we should be focusing on."

"Hey! At least I wasn't undressing him with my eyes like Kara was!" Jess defended, not really offended at all.

Wait a minute.

"Hey, wait, whoa. At no point tonight did I 'undress Peter with my eyes.'" If anything, I felt like I was a little harsher with him than I needed to be, but I was under a lot of stress. Part of me was happy I was firm with him, but another part of me didn't like needing to be.

"I'll say," Megan said from the bed, holding a textbook over her head.

It's just like her. Someone finds out our powers and she decides its time to study.

"Now you're in on this too, Meg? I was not looking at Peter that would indicate I was thinking about him in that way," I said, partly sighing the phrase out.

Standing, I turned to the pile of unfolded laundry in the corner of my room and started folding a shirt. For some reason, folding laundry has always relieved my stress in the past.

"Wouldn't blame ya if you were, he did look pretty great in that suit. Who knew our little Pete could fill out spandex so nicely," Jess responded, not even glancing up from her hair. The ease and non-chalantness that drifted off my two friends did nothing to ease my stress. I just felt I needed to be anxious for the three of us.

"That suit looked way too expensive to be spandex, Jess," Megan said, turning a page in her text book.

Rolling her eyes, Jess replied, "Regardless, he still looked hot."

"Then why don't you just date him Jess?" I asked, groaning.

"Are you kidding me," Jess scoffed, "I told you guys, I'm saving myself for the good Captain. And now," she finally looked up from her hair, "I have an in."

Smirking, Jess hopped onto my bed beside Megan, scrolling on her iPhone.

"You're aware Captain America is a fugitive still, right? And I highly doubt a kid like Peter is in touch with him."

"Oh whatever, Megan, I'll figure out a—"

"Is this seriously what you guys are going to talk about right now?" I asked, crumpling the sweater I was folding in my hands.

"Whoa, Kara, chill. Why are you freaking out?" Jess asked, giving me a concerned look.

"Because, Peter knows about us, Jess. We've tried so hard to keep it a secret," I said, looking down at the floor, "and I blew it."

"Look Kar, this isn't your fault. It's not like you told Peter, he just figured it out. He's a smart guy," Megan said sending me a small smile over her phone.

"But how are you guys so casual about this?" I asked, looking at the bunch up sweater in my hands.

Jess sighed, "If we're being honest, I'm kind of glad that someone knows. It feels nice to kind of let it out."