Chapter 8

Sitting on Jess's front porch, I checked my phone for the billionth time. She said she would be here ten minutes ago. But, I wasn't even surprised anymore.

The study party ended about fifteen minutes ago and I was the only one who still remained at Jess's house. After the news report on Spider-Man, we listened to Maia Mitchell rave about his heroics for the last half an hour. Nobody said much of anything, besides Jess who butted in with a comment or two about the hero, and it seemed to pass slower than the rest of the night did.

It wasn't that I didn't like Spider-Man, I honestly was pretty indifferent. But after receiving powers of my own, any conversation that involved a superhero put me on edge. And I was worried that someone would sense my unease and notice that I wasn't completely normal.

Jess walked out onto the porch and sat beside me. "Still a no-show?"

I shook my head, folding my arms closer to my chest. Among all the other 'perks' I got when I received my powers, not handling the cold well was one of them. Winter was the worst and I usually wore five layers, including a giant parka.

Apparently, in order for me to live comfortably, I had to move somewhere constantly warm and sunny.

"My mom said she would be here soon, but that was like ten minutes ago," I expanded, sighing.

"I can drive you," Jess offered.

"No it's okay, I can take the metro. It's not too far," I said, standing up. I wanted time to think anyways, especially after being social all evening. I needed time to myself before I got home.

Maybe I was prolonging going home, but I didn't care.

"Are you sure? It's dark outside and--"

    "Jess, I think I could handle myself if something happened," I cut her off. I had never really tried using my powers as self-defense, I hadn't needed to before, but I imagine that it wouldn't be very hard.

    "But--"

    "Hey guys, am I too late?" Peter appeared in front of the two of us, startling us.

    "What the he-where did you come from?" Jess asked, looking around.

"I just jogged up," Peter explained as he jerked his thumb in the direction he came. There was no way he just 'jogged' up.

    "We would've seen you," Jess said, narrowing her eyes. She didn't believe his story any more than I did.

    "Um..." Peter raised his arm and scratched behind his head. Why was he so late? And why did he even bother showing up when it was as late as it was? Changing the subject, Peter said, "Is Ned still here?"

    I shook my head, "No, he left about ten minutes ago. He tried calling you to tell you not to come."

    Widening his eyes, Peter pulled his phone from his pocket. "Crap," he sighed, and then shoved it back into his pocket, looking more exhausted than I felt.

    "Why are you so late?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

    Peter waited a minute before responding, "I, uh—I spilled my coffee on myself on my way back from the Stark Internship. Yeah, so I had to uh go home and change." It sounded like he was convincing himself more than us.

    I hadn't even realized until that point that he was wearing a completely different outfit from when I saw him at Delmar's. Instead of his previous tee and flannel shirt, he wore a dark red crew-neck sweater. He also wasn't wearing a backpack.

    Why would he show up to a study group without a backpack?

    "I'm so sorry I didn't make it in time, Jess, I know I said I would. I just was busy and—"