Chapter 12

Peter's POV

Peter lingered at his locker longer than usual. Shoving his books into the gray locker, his brown eyes searched through the mass of people in an attempt to find the familiar blonde hair. She was shorter than most of the students that attended Midtown School of Science and Technology, so it was harder to pick out her golden-blonde head.

"Dude, what are you doing?" Peter jumped when he his best friend spoke behind him. Normally, Peter could sense when someone was approaching him, but he was too preoccupied at the moment.

Turning, Peter saw Ned standing with his hands gripping his backpack straps.

Clearing away the surprise on his face, Peter answered, "What do you mean?"

Peter placed his last book into his locker while he waited for his friend to answer. Sneaking a glance down the hall, he saw the blonde at her locker.

Ever since this morning, he had debated whether or not to confront Kara. It was the second time within twenty-four hours that her eyes had changed from a pale blue to green. They weren't average green eyes, they seemed to glow unnaturally. Peter was aware that Kara did know that they were green, he wondered if that was why she had passed out last night.

He remembered the brief panic last night as she lay limp in his arms. He was grateful that Jess had made him take her number a few months ago. When Peter called Jess, she offered to come get Kara, but Peter told her that it wouldn't be a problem to take her home.

"How are you going to get her home? You don't have a car?" Jess had asked.

Peter had lied to her, and he still felt guilty, but he felt semi-responsible for Jess's friend going unconscious. "It's okay, I'll just call a taxi." But he didn't.

Peter hadn't ever carried someone while he slung throughout the city, but it wasn't difficult, Kara was almost weightless in his arms.

"Peter, where are you today?" Ned asked, snapping Peter back into reality.

"What?" Peter asked, not shutting his locker until he saw Kara do so.

"You're not in the present, that's for sure," Ned explained. "And what are you still doing here anyways? You're usually the first one out of here."

Peter shrugged, "I guess I'm just tired."
It wasn't a lie. Peter had spent most of the previous night fighting crime, carrying a unconscious girl home, and staying up contemplating whether or not hissed had played tricks on him.

It hadn't, her eyes really did glow green.
Although Peter was quite exhausted, his back ached from his fight the previous night, he was grateful for the small dose of action he received when he stopped those people from robbing the jewelry store. It was one of the most exciting things to happen in a while.

Since Adrian Toomes had been taken to jail, the excitement had died down. Peter had taken to performing the mundane tasks again: helping old ladies and stopping bicycle thieves. The jewelry store robbery was a gift.

Peter felt slightly queasy for actually wanting there to be crime for him to stop, but he still slightly wished for it. Nothing was quite as exciting as taking down a crime-lord and stopping a plane from crashing into the city.

Peter discreetly watched Kara as she waited at her locker, looking at her cell phone. And he wondered why she waited so long to leave the school.

Once the last person besides Ned and Peter exited the hallway, Kara leaned up from her locker and headed towards the door. She didn't seem to notice that Peter and Ned were still there.