Chapter 21

"You needed me?" Herman asked, walking into the darkened laboratory.

"Yes," the woman said. "You know where Spider-Man'a school is, correct?"

Herman crossed his arms, "Why?"

The woman was peering over a plant. She would cut off a leaf and put it underneath her microscope to look at. When she was unsatisfied with that leaf, she would move on to the next plant.

"I need you to cause a distraction," she said, not looking up from the scope. "Something from a well known building is going to go missing, I need something to distract the public."

Herman only grunted.

The woman finally looked up from her microscope at Herman. "I want you to kill Spider-Man."

A small smile crept onto Herman's lips, "Finally."

           ___________________________

Dr. Marla Madison: Genetic Recombinant and DNA Specialist.

I looked at the piece of piece of paper again for probably the fiftieth time since Dr. Madison handed it to me. I didn't know why I was having such a hard time deciding whether or not to accept her offer. If I took the internship then it would look good on a college application and give me good experience. But, I hardly had anyone time between school and volunteering.

And I didn't know how I felt about working with DNA specialist. That is someone it would be hard to hide powers from.

Suddenly, as I looked at the folded piece of card stock, I heard a knock on my locker. Shoving the card into my pocket, I turned to greet my best friends.

Megan seemed unimpressed as usual, her arms clutching her chemistry textbook. And Jess looked as great as always. Chestnut auburn hair swept up in a carefree bun. Her outfit was simple, jeans, t-shirt, and jacket, but she seemed to make it more glamorous then the rest of us could.

I hadn't told them about Dr. Madison's offer yet. I don't why or why I thought I needed to hide it, but I just couldn't feel like I could tell them. Yet. I mean, I didn't even know if I was going to do it.

"So have you seen him yet?" Jess asked, leaning against the lockers as she surveyed those walking the hall.

"Seen who?" I asked, shutting my locker and throwing my messenger bag over my shoulder.
Jess looked at me with shock. "Peter, obviously. Who else?"

Oh. Right.

Dr. Madison's offer wasn't the only thing I couldn't stop thinking about this weekend. I thought about what I was going to say to Peter. He knew about me and I knew about him, but what does that mean now? I thought about maybe apologizing for freaking out like I did the other night. Cause honestly, it wasn't Peter's fault.

"Oh, umm, no," I replied, "I haven't seen him."
I honestly didn't know what I would do if I did.
Megan finally spoke up, leaving whatever thought she was thinking to herself, "Do you think he is even going to show up?"

Part of me hoped he didn't. Not only did I not know how to talk to him, it was weird imagining Peter as Spider-Man.

I had a hard time believing that dorky, quiet guy was moonlighting as a superhero. But then again, I bet no one would guess I had powers either.

For a moment, I thought about all of the crazy things that Spider-Man had done. He stopped criminals on a daily basis and stopped Adrian Toomes. Honestly, it was all kind of... brave.

"Earth to Kara," Jess said, waving her hand in front of my face.

"Oh sorry," I said, clearing my throat.