Chapter 16

Alex

The tension in the room is immediate and I'm not sure what to do. Everyone was excited to meet Rayne without actually knowing anything about her at all, and that includes her name. Now they're all looking at her like she's some kind of alien.

Thankfully, Eli notices my wide eyes and Rayne's stiff posture. Though, of course, he saves Rayne and not me. He smiles brightly at her and takes the container full of cookies out of her hands.

"No, nobody's allergic to peanuts here, Ray. Why don't I show you around the house?"

"Um, yeah," Rayne hesitates for a moment, looking at me, and then follows Eli to the living room.

I close my eyes tightly for a second and then look at the three people who raised me. Rose is the first one to speak.

"Rayne. Out of all girls you could've met and you find one with the name Rayne."

I shrug, "I've been saying the same thing to myself."

Jeff rubs a hand over his face. "Boy, you better not to be with her because she reminds you of my daughter."

"Of course not," I narrow my eyes at him. "They're two completely different human beings, Jeff. I'm with Rayne because she's a great, kind, beautiful person."

Everyone becomes silent at my words of obvious adoration.

Mom walks up to me and takes my face in her hands. "Well I'll have to see the great and kind parts of her, but she is definitely one beautiful young girl."

"Thanks, Mom."

Rose claps her hands together, "We better get going then! The food is just warming up in the oven."

Jeff and Mom had for the kitchen, but Rose stays in place and put a hand on my arm when I try to walk by.

"Don't worry, I helped fix up the food where you couldn't after you left pick up your girl," she tells me. I know if she's trying to lighten the mood and make a joke about my mom's bad cooking, but I know better.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" I knew that Rayne might bring old memories to her. I didn't expect neither her or Jeff to be here today, but I can't say I'm not happy that they are.

Rose nods and gives me a forced smile, "I'll be okay." She takes a deep breath and then shoos me away, "Okay now, let's go. That meat you marinated isn't going to eat itself."