Chapter 17

Rayne

I both wanted to know and didn't want to know what I did to make everyone go stoic after I introduced myself. I am eternally grateful to Eli for getting me out of that very awkward situation. I want to say I did something wrong, but I would just be lying. I remember when I first told Alex my name. He'd frozen for a moment and his eyes glazed over for a fraction of a second. Maybe it was my name; maybe they knew someone who'd had my name? I do my best to brush off my wandering thoughts.

Now, I'm seated at a rectangular wooden table in between Alex and Eli. Alex is seated across from his mom, Eli sits in front of his dad, and I sit in front of his mom.

There's a few moments of comfortable silence as we all eat. There's meat, mashed potatoes, and salad; it's all very exquisite. I try to make conversation when the quiet becomes too much for me.

"This meat is delicious," I comment.

Lily smiles kindly at me, "I'd say thank you but I'm not the one who made it." She waves her fork across the table to her son, "Alex did."

I turn to my boyfriend and nudge him with my elbow, "You didn't tell me you could cook."

Alex's cheeks flush a tiny bit as he shrugs, "Only a few things."

Eli scoffs and I turn to him. I catch him rolling his eyes. "He's being humble," he tells me. "He's pretty awesome in the kitchen. He makes these great-ass pan-"

"Elliot!" Rose scolds. "Language, young man."

I look down and bite my lip to keep myself from laughing. My mom's never scolded me for cursing before. Come to think of it, there weren't many times where she'd chastised me at all.

"So, Rayne, how old are you?" Jeff asks me, changing the subject.

I'm suddenly very happy I'd told Alex my real age on the ride here, "I'm seventeen."

This time everyone except Alex freezes, even Eli. What was I saying wrong?

Jeff clears his throat and smiles kindly at me, "So you're still in school."

I nod even though he hadn't asked me anything. I look around at everyone at the table. They're now eating once again like nothing weird had happened. "Yes," I say. "I graduate this year actually."

My school was currently on a fall break. They gave everyone one week off in the fall because there was a long string of teacher's conventions.

"Wow, that's great," Lily comments. I smile at her proudly.

"Any idea what you want to do after high school?" Rose asks me.

I shrug and look at Alex. I've never had this talk with him considering he didn't know I was in highschool before. We'd do schoolwork together but I think he assumed it was college. He gives me a reassuring smile. It lets me know that nothing I say could irritate or offend them in any way. He knows I get worried about little things like that.

"I'm not completely sure," I respond honestly. "I really like directing and writing. I've looked at a few colleges, but I'm thinking of staying close. I don't really want to be too far from my mom."

Rose smiles at me and grabs her husband's hand, "Jeff actually works as a director of screenplays."

"Oh, wow, that's amazing," I say with awe in my voice.

"You and Alex can stop by my work any time you'd like," Jeff tells me.

Alex nods, "Yeah, I'm there a lot with Eli."

"It's pretty cool," Eli chimes in. "If you're into that stuff I think you'll really enjoy it."

I feel my cheeks heat slightly, "Are you sure about that? I'd hate to be a bother."

Eli scoffs, "You think if he was worried about bothers he'd let me go?"

Everyone at the table laughs with Eli.

The whole dinner flows along with jokes, light laughter, and smiles. It's even possible for me to briefly ignore the underlying tension in between all the conversation.