Chapter Three

I stood outside the glass door with the words DETENTION written on it with big black letters. I leaned against the wall and slid down until I was sitting on the ground. I wasn’t a bad kid, I didn’t get detention often. I defiantly wasn’t a straight A student or a teacher’s pet, but I passed with a B-average.

Poor Liam, he was top of nearly every class and I got him detention. He was smart for someone so popular, but also cute and sporty. Jayden wasn’t nearly as smart, he got by on his looks, charm and sporting abilities.

I snapped out of my daze when I heard footsteps heading my way. I saw Mr. Lovegrove with a key in his hand, Liam trailing behind him with his head hanging low.

Mr. Lovegrove unlocked the door, we both followed him in and I took a seat at the back of the classroom. Surprisingly Liam sat next to me.

“Today you two are the only ones in here and since I have some marking to do and there’s camera’s installed, I’m going to leave you here. I have your history textbooks here to finish off your work. Don’t try to leave and stay silent.”

With that he placed the books on to of the teacher’s desk. He swiftly walked out the room, slamming the door behind him.

“I’m sorry,” I blurted out. I didn’t try to but it just kind of happened. Liam smiled.

“What for?”

“Getting you detention. It was my fault, all you did was be nice to me and it got you detention!”

He shrugged and walked over to the teacher’s desk, picking up both books. He placed one in front of me and the other in front of him. He pulled a pen out of his pencil case and flipped open his workbook, copying something from the textbook to his workbook.

I sighed and mimicked his actions, copying down words from one book to the other. It was silent for a few minutes, the only noise being his pen tapping on the table in some sort of rhythm.

“Why don’t you hate me?”

I was a little taken aback by the question, I was aware of the feud and obviously Liam was. I was possibly the only person in the grade who didn’t pick a side.

“Why would I?”

“Because your brother hates me! We’ve hated each other for four years now! Why wouldn’t you choose his side?”

“I didn’t choose a side Liam. Jayden can’t control me and how I feel but I can’t really side against him.”

He gave me a puzzled look as if I was an interesting painting or an equation that didn’t make sense.

“You are one of a kind Lia.”

I laughed. When Liam used to come over to our hose he always called me Lia, ruffling my beach blonde hair and winking his emerald eyes.

I could defiantly see why he was popular, he was very charming, he had chocolate brown hair, gorgeous emerald eyes and olive skin. He certainly wasn’t ugly. My brother had the classic blonde hair blue eye thing, as I did.

I smiled at Liam and asked him about question sixteen. We spent the whole detention talking and laughing, he was funny. He had known how to make me smile.

“I wish we could just talk, like normal people, without this whole feud thing,” I admitted, he nodded.

“We can. Just not in public.” He winked as he pulled his phone out of his bag passing it to me.

“Put your number in, we can text without anyone knowing.”

I smiled and put my number in as ‘Lia,’ before passing him my phone. After he put his number in he gave my phone back.