11 - A Date in Ruins

"You're gonna love this restaurant. How do you feel about steak?"

"I never really had steak, my father preferred to create asgardian meals. And, aside from that, I would get a lot of take out"

"Really? Well you're in for a treat"

We sat in a fancy restaurant, not as fancy as I had pictured but it was still nice. Wally had ordered a steak for me, claiming it was going to blow my mind.

He was right. The steak was amazing, although I liked the meals my father cooked better. We spoke about ourselves, having a great time. Soon after we finished the meal he led me towards a theatre where we were going to watch a movie. We sat in our seats, waiting for the movie to begin, but what appeared on screen was not the movie.

"Heya Karma, its Harley Quinn, my pudding was tellin me about ya and asked me to pass on a message. He says, you made a bad choice escaping. He's coming for ya, and you ain't gonna make it out alive. Ooh, and have fun finding the bomb," she laughs and her pale face disappears from the screen.

I shiver and Wally wraps his arms around me, trying to comfort me. Everyone in the theatre had started to run for the door quickly, not wanting to be blown up. Her voice rang in my ears, reminding me of the man who tortured me, tried to turn me into one of his servants.

"We gotta go, it's not safe here," he whispers.

The theatre had emptied out completely, only the two of us remaining. I made no sign of moving out of my seat so Wally picked me up, carrying me towards the exit. When we make it outside the streets were empty, abandoned newspapers and garbage blew in the wind.

"What happened to all the people?" I ask, keeping my arms tight around Wally's neck.

"I don't know, but I don't like this"

"Heya Karma, did ya get my message?" Harley Quinn says with a giggle, appearing from the shadows, swinging her bat around aimlessly. "I hope ya did because I don't want to have to say all that stuff again"

Behind us the theatre explodes, sending pieces of the building towards us. Wally avoids it easily. Harley had a giant smile on her face as she chewed away on her gum.

"Sorry if I ruined date night, Joker was gettin very impatient. Now if ya don't mind, I'll be takin your girl for a while," she says, mainly to Wally.

"Go away Harley, I won't let you or the Joker take her," he says, tightening his grip on me.

She giggles and takes out an envelope, handing it to me while keeping her distance. "He thought you'd say that so he told me to give this to you"

I open it with caution. There was a picture of Peter chained in a cell, blood dripping from his lip and stomach, a bruise forming on his eye. He looked like he had passed out from the pain. There was also a note in the envelope written in blood, it read 'come join me' with 'ha' written around it tons of times.

"Why me?"

"Huh?" She says.

"What does he want with me"

"Oh, you'll figure that out when you see him. Cmon, I don't got all day"

"Wally I have to go, I can't leave Peter there to die"

"No, it isn't worth risking your life"

"Put me down Wally," I tell him sternly.

"No"

"Put me down"

He sets me down gently, not looking away from my eyes. He places a hand on my cheek and speaks, knowing I would not just leave a friend to be killed.

"I'll get help, you and that spider guy will make it back safely, mainly you," he whispers.

I nod and walk over to Harley. "Yay! Come on, he's waiting"

She drags me off towards an alley. I watch behind me as Wally grew smaller and smaller. I was terrified, frightened, but I didn't show it, I couldn't. If Joker saw my weakness he would use it against me, just like he did with Peter.