Un-named excerpt 2

HER

Again it had started, and again she was left broken.
"I don't want you anymore"
He had said. She felt a pain unlike any of the previous. There had always been the underlying issue of him trying to be Superman and save her from him. But this? This was a new kind of pain.
"W-what?" She sobbed.
"I DON'T WANT YOU! I DON'T LOVE YOU!" He bellowed into the phone. She gasped for air and sank into a heap on the bathroom floor, pulling at her hair until her scalp was red. Her hands shook, clutching her phone.
She sobbed until her throat hurt. She looked and realized he had sat on the phone this whole time. Forty five minutes of listening to her heart splintering. Did he really hate her that much? Was she so dispensable? Did he enjoy hurting her?

HIM
She had to believe him. She had to stay away this time. God, why couldn't she just stay away?
Then again, why couldn't he? There was something about the curvy brunette girl he had come to love that just wouldn't let him go. He was going to be the death of her. He had watched her decline from the happy girl to the thinning, quiet, rarely smiling girl on the other end of the phone. He had seen her wrists and known it was because of him.
"I'm saving her life " he told himself. It was this thought that spurred him on. "I don't want you." He said into the phone. He could only imagine her stormy eyes filling with tears, but he repeated his mantra. "I'm saving her. I'm saving her" he whispered under his breath. She stuttered, and he almost changed his mind. Told her he was lying. Told her he loved her. But he had to make her believe it. He yelled it into the phone. He heard the crack as her arm went limp and she dropped to the floor, taking her phone with her onto the tile. He heard her heart tearing sobs, and sat there on his floor as fat tears rolled down his face. His heart was not so much breaking as already broken. Shattered. All at once he was not so much sad as angry. Angry at himself for letting it get this far. Angry at her for not listening to everyone who warned her away. He jumped to his feet and spun around, slamming his fist into the closet door, leaving a gaping hole with jagged edges, and he imagined that to be what his heart looked like. He sat back down, and just listened to her cry. His chest ached. He listened until the gasping stopped, and heard her spit out three words. "I hate you!" She spat, and then the line went dead. He threw his phone , cracking the screen. He hated himself, no wonder she did.