Chapter 2

Tris POV

When I wake up, I am standing on the roof to the members entrance. Christina is beside me wearing black and white, Rita is sobbing over the edge. I am wearing gray. That really just happened.

Max begins speaking, but I zone out. I've heard this speech once. I think about the blue eyes that are below me, bringing a smile to my face. When Max motions to the ledge, indicating that someone is supposed to jump, I don't hesitate. I quickly pull off my loose outer shirt, and throw it at Peter, revealing my tight under one.

I step onto the ledge and jump without a second thought. Tobias here I come.

I hit the net, and laugh at how familiar it was. Suddenly I see a hand that I know all to well and immediately grab it. I stand on the ground, staring into his deep blue eyes. I want to kiss him so badly right now, but we aren't alone.

"Can't believe it," Lauren says. "A Stiff, the first to jump? Unheard of."

"There's a reason why she left them, Lauren," Tobias- or should I say Four- says smirking. "What's your name?" he asks and winks at me. This is going to be fun.

"Tris," I say. I don't have to the about it this time.

"Tris," Lauren repeats, grinning. 'Make the announcement, Four."

Tobias smiles at me and looks over his shoulder. "First-jumper, Tris!" he says.

Everyone cheers as a screaming Christina hits the net. Tobias looks me in the eye, putting his hand on the small of my back and says, "Welcome to Dauntless." But then he leans down and whispers in my ear, "This is going to be fun." I laugh and join the others.

Tobias POV

Lauren and I lead the "new" initiates down the tunnel to the Pit. The look on Tris's face is priceless.

"This is where we divide," Lauren says. "The Dauntless-born initiates are with me. I assume you don't need a tour of the place." She leads them away.

"Most of the time I work in the control room, but for the next few weeks, I am your instructor," I say. "My name is Four." I laugh to myself, remembering what happens next. I look over at Tris and see her trying to hold back a smile, she remembers this part too.

Just like I remember, Christina asks, "Four, like the number?" Tris stomps on her foot, hard. "Ow. What was that for?"

"I don't know," she says stifling a laugh. "He just doesn't seem like the kind of person to mess around with." This is too much fun.

"She's right," I say. We are both enjoying this way to much already. "But to answer your question, yes, exactly like the number. Is there a problem?"

"No"

"Good. We're about to enter the Pit, which someday you will learn to love. It-"

Christina snickers. "The Pit? Clever name." Here we go again.

I walk up to her and get close to her face. "What's your name?" I ask even though I know the answer. She doesn't know that.

"Christina," she squeaks. From the corner of my eye, I see Tris trying to hold back a smile.

"Well, Christina, if I wanted to deal with Candor smart-mouths, I would've joined their faction," I hiss. Even this time I am really angry. "The first lesson you will learn from me is to keep your mouth shut. Got it?"

She nods and I lead the initiates to the Pit.

Tris POV

This is way too much fun. After Tobias walks away, Christina whispers in my ear, "What a jerk."

"I guess he doesn't like to be laughed at," I say thinking about how true that statement is.

Tobias opens the doors to the Pit and I feel like I am finally home. I missed this place.

"Oh," Christina whispers, "I get it."

We walk silently through the Pit. Tobias stops and says, "If you follow me, I will show you the Chasm." I have many memories of the Chasm. Some bad, like Al's death. Some great, like my first kiss with Tobias.

"The Chasm reminds us that there is a fine line between bravery and idiocy!" He shouts. "A daredevil jump off this ledge will end your life. It has happened before and it will happen again. You have been warned". I think about Al. I will save him this time.

"This is incredible," says Christina, as we all move away from the railing.

"Incredible is the word," I say. It is definitely incredible.

I find myself next to Tobias and tap his shoulder gently. He looks at me, and I nod my head toward our spot. He smiles and whispers in my ear, "Meet me there tonight when everyone is asleep." I nod and we continue.

We enter the dining hall and the cheering begins. I find myself next to Christina and Tobias just like last time.

Hamburgers are placed in front of us, and I am about to eat when I remember that I am supposed to have never seen one before. I pinch it carefully and examine every part of it.

Tobias smiles and says, "It's beef. Here put this on it." He hands me a bowl of ketchup.

"You've never had a hamburger before?" asks Christina, her eyes wide.

"No," I lie. "Is that what it's called?" I hope that my acting is somewhat believable.

"Stiffs eat plain food," Tobias says, nodding at Christina.

"Why?" she asks.

I shrug. "Extravagance is considered self-indulgent and unnecessary."

She smirks. "No wonder you left."

"Yeah," I say rolling my eyes. "It was just because of the food."

Tobias smiles, and it just makes me want to kiss him even more.

The doors open and Eric walks in. It takes everything in me not to punch him. The meeting with him goes the same as last time, but I can Tobias is even more irritated this time.

After he leaves, I remember what I said, "Are you two... friends?" I ask, even though I know good and well that they are not.

"We were in the same initiate class," Tobias says. "He transferred from Erudite.

I know the answer to my next question too. "Were you a transfer too?"

"I thought I would only have trouble with the Candor asking to many questions. Now I've got Stiffs too?"

"It must be because you're so approachable," I say flatly. I remember this conversation well. I can't believe that I was scared of him. It's funny. "You know, like a bed of nails."

"Careful, Tris," he says and I hear someone call his name. He groans quietly and heads to another table.

Christina raises her eyebrows at me. Oh no, was it that bad?

"What?" I ask.

"I'm developing a theory." That's right, this happened last time.

"And it is?" I still ask.

She picks up her burger and takes a bite before continuing. "That you have a death wish."

I don't reply. Quite the opposite of that actually, I think to myself.