Chapter 12

Tris POV

I drop my dagger onto the dusty floor. I stand in the edge of the room and Tobias sends me a telepathic message, 'Don't do it.'

"Stand in front of the target," Eric says to Al and my heartbeat picks up. Al's big hands shake as he walks back to the target. "Hey, Four." Eric looks over his shoulder. "Give me a hand here, huh?"

Tobias sighs as he approaches Eric. He knows what I'm going to do. I know what I'm going to do.

"You're going to stand there as he throws those knives," Eric says to Al. "until you learn not to flinch."

"Is this really necessary?" Tobias asks. Why does he even try?

My fingers are digging into my palms. For some reason I am hoping that Eric will back down even though I know he won't.

"I have the authority here remember?" Eric says, so quietly I can barely here him. "Here, and everywhere else."

Tobias is angry. I can tell by the way the color rushes into his cheeks. His grip on the knives tighten as he turns to face Al.

I look from Al's wide, dark eyes to his shaking hands to the determined look on Tobias's face. "Stop it!" I shout before I can help myself.

Tobias turns to me with a glare. I'm not worried at all. I trust Tobias with my life. "Any idiot can stand in front of a target," I say. "It doesn't prove anything except that you are bullying us. Which as I recall, is a sign of cowardice."

"Then it should be easy for you," Eric says. "If you're willing to take his place."

I have no doubts in my mind as I walk up to the target. Tobias is shaking his head and I can tell that he is angry with me. I would be angry with me too.

"There goes you're pretty face," hisses Peter. "Oh, wait. You don't have one."

I ignore him as I trade places with Al. I tip my chin up confidently and look into the blue eyes that I know so well.

"If you flinch," Tobias says slowly, carefully, "Al takes your place. Understand?"

I nod.

Tobias keeps his eyes on mine as he throws the first knife. It half a foot from my cheek. Just like last time. I close my eyes.

"You about done?" Tobias asks, and I appreciate that he didn't call me Stiff this time.

I shake my head and say, "No."

"Eyes open then." He taps the spot between his eyebrows.

He throws two more and they land exactly where I remember.

On the fourth knife, he smirks and raises his eyebrows. He touches his ear and I smile. He throws it and I feel the warm blood slide down my ear.

"I would love to see if the rest of you are as daring as she is," Eric says. "but I think that's enough for today."

He squeezes my shoulder and smiles. I don't return it. "I should keep my eye on you," he adds.

Everyone leaves until its just Tobias and I. I am about to say something when he speaks up. "I don't want to hear it, Tris." He slams the knife onto the table and walks away. I just scream in frustration and then make my way to the dorms.