Chapter 18

Tris POV

1. Edward

2. Tris

3. Peter

4. Will

5. Christina

6. Molly

7. Drew

8. Al

9. Myra

I can't think. I can't breathe. All I can do is stare.

I'm above Peter. I feel tears form in my eyes, and push them back as I run out of the dormitory.

I ranked high, I should be happy. But I'm not. I don't know what this means for me, but I have no way to protect Edward.

When I stop running, I find myself under the chasm. I don't usually cry, but I can't help it. Everything that I have been through comes crashing down on me. I sit on the rocks and just cry.

Tobias POV

I can't believe that I let this happen. As Tris runs out of the room, I can't help but feel responsible. I should've gotten Eric to rank her lower. At least below Peter, but I didn't.

"What?" Peter yells. "I will not be outranked by a Stiff!" He looks at Edward and smirks. Oh no.

"Okay," I say. "You're dismissed. Christina, may I speak to you?" She nods and walks towards me. "Not here," I whisper in her ear.

We walk out into the hall and to my apartment. I can't allow this to be heard.

"What?" Christina asks once I close my door. "Is everything okay?"

"No," I say honestly. "I need you to make sure that Peter doesn't try anything. Last time he ranked second, right below Edward. Edward ended up with a butterknife in his eye that night and became factionless. I'm going to keep Tris with me so nothing happens.

"As soon as I can find her anyway. But please, do whatever you can. Either keep Edward awake, warn him, or something."

"I'll try my best," she says. "But, Four. What if something still happens?"

"Then something happens," I reply quietly. "But just try."

"Of course," she smiles. "Now go find your girlfriend."

She leaves, and it takes a minute for my feet to go anywhere. Eventually though, they do.

~~~

I walk everywhere, and I can't find Tris. I'm walking back to my apartment when it hits me.

The chasm.

I take the path that only Tris and I know of. Then I see her. She's sitting on a rock with her knees to her chest. Her arms are wrapped loosely around her legs, and her head is up against them. Her blonde hair is in a ponytail.

As I get closer, I hear sniffles. Is she crying?

"Tris?" I ask softly. She looks up at me. Her blue eyes are sparkling with tears threatening to fall.

I sit down beside her, and pull her close to me. She buries her head in my chest and continues to cry.

"I'm sorry," she says suddenly, looking up at me.

I push her hair out of her eyes and kiss her forehead. "You have nothing to be sorry about."

"It's just," she begins. "I've been through so much. I've been through a war. Two actually. I almost lost my life several times. And I died. Tobias, I can't take it anymore. And now, Peter might hurt me again."

"You have every right to cry," I say, meaning every word. "You've been through more than I can imagine, but don't worry about Peter. You can stay with me tonight. No, you are staying with me. Whether you like it or not."

"Won't the others get suspicious?"

"If they do, then I'll think of something."

Suddenly her eyes widen. "What about Edward?" She starts to panic.

"Tris," I say, putting my hands on her shoulders. "Calm down. I told Christina about the problem, and she'll take care of it. I just don't want you to get hurt. I love you."

It has been so long since I've said that, and it feels really good to say it again.

"I love you too," she says before connecting her lips to mine. The kiss is slow, but I don't mind. It's perfect. I have missed the feeling of her lips on mine.

She wraps her arms around my neck and mine go to her waist, pulling her closer to me.

After a few minutes, I pull away, smiling. I stand up. "Let's go," I say. I offer her my hand and she gladly takes it.

~~

Tris POV

When we get back to Tobias' apartment, I can barely keep eyes open.

"Hey." My boyfriend's breath tickles my neck as he whispers in my ear. "Get some sleep. I'll take the floor."

"Please," I say. "Lay with me." Did he forget that I'm over my fear?

He nods,and we make our way to his bed.

I lie down, and he climbs in next to me. Tobias' arms wrap around me, and pull me close.

"Goodnight Tris," he says. "I love you."

And this time, I know that I would've said it back. But I am too far gone.

A/N: Feel free to spam my comments and votes. *cough* Laila *cough* 😉