A Flashback

This is a flashback, but also a sneak peak for what's to come in later events in White Silence. This takes place in the past, during the two years inbetween Glassy Sky and White Silence.

---

It took her forever to move from that spot, and even longer to gather herself afterwards. The draining of her chakra left her so close to death, black spots danced in her vision, and every move she made created an acid-like burning sensation through her veins, a hundred times worse than the burn on her arm.

She shakily stood, after an eternity, and stumbled over to a tree, practically slamming into it. Just those two steps had her gasping for breath, sweating and shaking as she fell to the ground again, her back against the rough tree bark. There, she sat, under the moon and stars, as her eyes could no longer stay open and the burning sensation wouldn't allow even the slightest movement of her finger.

***

The most unlikely of people found her there, perched against a tree and asleep in the blueblack cold of night. He didn't even try to hide how his eyes widened in shock, or his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. His heart skipped a beat, fear spiking in his chest. Feelings he hadn't experienced in what felt like forever.

At first, he thought there was no way that was really her. Yosuga isn't the only girl in the world with green hair, so maybe he was mistaken. But upon further inspection, he knew he wasn't. She had changed in appearance quite a bit since he last saw her, but it was definitely her. He peered at the fresh burn mark in the shape of a hand on her right forearm with narrowed eyes. What the hell had she been doing?

Then his eyes caught the goosebumps that rose on her skin, and let out a sigh. He couldn't leave her out here, unconscious in the midst of night. As much as he wanted to, he just... couldn't. Even though he tried to convince himself he didn't care for her, he still found himself gently taking her into his arms and carrying her out of the forest.

***

She woke up with a pounding headache the next day. It usually took one longer to recover from chakra exhaustion, but Yosuga found that her chakra replenished quite fast when resting. Though that didn't make the headache hurt any less.

She groaned in pain, sitting up and groggily looking around. Her heart nearly leapt out of her chest upon seeing that her surroundings weren't the same as when she went to sleep. Someone had moved her into what looked like a bedroom. Probably that of a hotel.

Shrugging off the blanket that covered her, her eyes caught sight of the new mark that tainted her arm. The burn mark. It brought back memories of yesterday that flashed in her mind, taking the confusion and slight serenity she had in her first couple seconds of waking up, and throwing them out the window. She grazed the burn that was sure to scar with light fingers, tears stinging her eyes.

She heard the door handle turn, and those tears were quickly blinked away, and her arm was hidden in the sheets. She sniffed, gathering herself and looking up as the door opened. Her eyes widened upon seeing who it was that opened the door. They stared at eachother for a long moment, one with wide eyes and the other with blank eyes.

"...Sasuke...?" Yosuga's mouth hung open.

***

"What were you doing in the woods?" He asked. So casually, like it was no big deal. So nonchalantly, like he had the right to ask her that. Like he had the right to even speak to her. After everything. After all this time. Yosuga blinked, anger boiling in her stomach. She clenched her jaw.

"Get out." She spat, scowling at the boy she once held so close to her heart. Sasuke seemed to falter, but Yosuga didn't notice.

"Yo-"

"Get the fuck out!" She yelled, shooting up to her feet. Though that caused pain to shoot down her legs, and she winced, falling to her knees with a painful grunt. He swiftly swooped down to catch her and help her up without thinking, but she pushed him away with a scowl, smacking his hands away. She stood, and he followed, albeit a bit slowly. Sasuke pursed his lips. He deserved this. He knew that. But that didn't make the disgusted look she gave him hurt any less. Why did he still care so much?

"You're injured." What all that he said. It was all he could say. He didn't know what he was expecting in the first place. It definitely wasn't a warm welcome. But it wasn't this either.

"I don't care! Leave! Get out of my sight! And don't come back!" She pushed him away, her heavy hands pressing square against his chest as she shoved him. He barely stumbled, and easily caught himself, not looking into her eyes.

It was obvious she didn't want to see him. She didn't want to know why, or how, she wanted him gone. She was over waiting for him to come back. She was over being broken up about his absence. He abandoned her. He made that choice all in his own. Yosuga didn't want to be anywhere near him.

"Didn't you hear me!?" Tears of frustration stung her eyes, and she clenched her jaw and fists. Sasuke had nothing to say. Nothing came to mind, and he found himself wondering why he was still here. She clearly wasn't happy to see him. She was quite literally screaming at him to leave, pushing him away.

But there was something about just being able to see her. Just being able to be in her presence and know that she was here and breathing and living. Being able to hear her voice, even if it was because she was yelling at him in anger and frustration. Being able to feel her, even if it was because she was shoving and pushing him away from her.

It made him not want to leave.

As much as he would try to deny it, he had missed her. She was someone he held dear to him even if he didn't want to, but he had hurt her. And he had done that all on his own. He had left her even when she practically begged him to stay. He knew he didn't get to miss her. He knew he didn't get to feel sorry for himself. He knew he didn't get to torture her by staying in her soothing presence for a second longer just because it made him feel better. He knew this. But Sasuke was a selfish person.

So with one more look into her angry and watery eyes, he turned, and left again.

He turned, and disappeared again.

---

What happened that night?