Chapter Ten // Little Game

Status: Edited

Johnny's POV
Pony and I left the carnival to go to that one place Dal told us to. My head was going in different directions in thinking of just being along with this boy. I'd mess something up and I probably wont know how to fix it.

"Johnnycake," he sprinted up the hill as I followed.

"Wait up,"

"Whats wrong Johnny?" I stayed quiet, taking a seat on a small bench. The place was silent and overlooked a glowing lake of blue and shiny light.

"Sit down Ponyboy," he sat next to me, being a little closer than usual.

"Wow, look at the stars," I said, nervously trying to break the silence.

"Johnny you wanna know something crazy?"

"Huh?" My voice cracked.

"Those feelings you told me you had for someone... I might just have them too."

I widened my eyes in jealousy, feeling them sting with tears. "Y-you do?" I looked away, feeling like such a baby for crying at a moment like this.

"Yea, and I've been meaning to tell you this Johnny for quite some time now,"

I quickly wiped the tears away, looking back at him. "Y-yea Pone?"

He scooted closer and held my hand. "I love you Johnny,"

I was confused. Did he mean... As a friend? "I-i love you too,"

He shook his head. "No Johnny, what I'm tryna say is..." he frowned with a sigh. "Forget it, it's fine."

"Y-you sure?" he nodded.

The silence was still. I turned my head back to the gleaming lake. I could see the bright glare stare at me in the face. The water was waving at a small pace. Everything was quiet and peaceful.

Ponyboy laid his head right on my shoulder, scooting closer to me. "Ponyboy,"

He nudged his head next to mine. "Yea Johnny?"

The glare of the lake's light shot me in the eyes. "You wanna know a wild thing?"

"Sure,"

"Well, the someone, the one I told you about, isn't just any person,"

He sighed. "Oh, well I'm happy for them,"

"You should be, because you're about to find out... who they are..." I leaned closer to him, barely even touching him before seeing someone come up to us.

"What are you doing?" Soda walked up.

I backed away and widened my eyes. "H-hi Soda," I blushed deeply.

"Hi Johnny, Ponyboy, we need to go home,"

I sighed and looked down.

"W-why?" Ponyboy sounded mad.

"Darry says it's too dark and that we have to leave,"

Pony's lips curved into a small pout.

"Pony , we cant argue about this, we have to go,"

Pony stood up and walked over to him. Sodapop was maybe the only thing Pony listened to anymore.

I wasn't paying attention anymore, but I felt arms wrap around me, pulling me closer. I blushed in excitement, knowing it was Ponyboy. It was the pressure of a hug.

"Bye Johnny," he let go and took steps away. I waved at him and Soda as they walked off.

After seconds of their leave, I sighed and kept my eyes focused on the lake right in front of me. It was a pretty sight, but, it was nothing compared to what I had wanted.

Ponyboy's POV
My heart ached, giving me the impression it hurt more that Johnny didn't know I loved him. The red, beating thing that kept me alive was slowly hurting itself to death.

But why was I feeling this way? I know I'm in love with Johnny , but why do these thoughts keep on abusing me the way I don't want them to?

Then strangely, I like how it feels when these thoughts abuse me. It's sorta nice cause then I find myself recognizing I'm just another boy stuck in a heap of selfish love.

Just another boy who's heart has been played with for so long.

Love sure does like to pick it's fights.

"Ponyboy, what were you and Johnny up to at the creek anyway?" I gulped, but then remembered that Soda already went intimate with someone in the gang.

"N-nothing," I looked at him, slightly terrified.

"There was nothing going on?"

"N-no," I stuttered out.

"You sure Pony? You can talk to me, everyone knows I'm already with Steve." I nodded, feeling indecisive.

"If I do that, my word will probably be exposed too,"

He stopped me from walking. "Ponyboy, you are somehow gonna explain why you're always so focused on Johnny and why you two were alo-" Soda paused. "Oh, I see,"

I was blushing. He knew about it. "W-what?" I had to keep my cool, but it was almost like a sudden ring of confession to Sodapop.

"You know Pony, love's tough, I should know," he chuckled.

"You do?"

"From what I've learned, it's more like a game. You can't always get what you want, but your chances can be just as good as anybody else's."

"Ponyboy," I snapped out of it. Soda smiled. I haven't seen that smile in a long, long time.

"Hm?"

Soda was already opening the gate to our house, then dragged me to the side of the patio. "We have to tell Darry,"

"No, Johnny and I.. we're not even together."

He frowned. "But he knows about me and Steve." I looked away from Soda and walked up to the screen door.

Taking in a deep breath, I opened the door and took a step inside. I needed to raise my confidence, no questions asked.

I promise to try my hardest and update ❤️