Chapter Twelve // Someplace

Status: Edited

Ponyboy's POV
"C-c'mon Johnny," I yanked him up from the ground.

"W-where're we gonna go Pony?"

"Y'know where Buck's is at, right?" He nodded.

"We're not goin' for Dally, are we?"

-

I knocked on the door. "What do you boys want?" Buck appeared in the dim red light.

"We're lookin' for D-dally," Johnny stuttered out.

"Dally?"

"Y-yea, Dally, Dalla-look just tell him we need to talk to him! Tell him it's Ponyboy and Johnny man, he'll come!" Johnny shouted through the screen door. "C'mon!"

After Buck left, Johnny turned to me and sighed. "You sure about this Pony?"

"Hey Johnny, man, what's wrong?" Dally came into view and opened the door, prompting us to enter. Before walking in, Johnny answered the question.

"Ponyboy and I need to run away,"

"Shoot kid, what happened?"

"W-well there's just too much g-goin' on all at once and he needs to get away from it."

"Um, alright, get inside," Dally pulled us into the bar and led us upstairs.

"So you said you need to hide away?" We both nodded. "A hide out?" We nodded again.

As Johnny and I both sat down on the bed of ruined sheets, Dally bent down.

"Hop on the three-fifteen freight to Windrexville ," He instructed and pulled out a cigarette, lighting its tip with a loud scrape. "there's an old abandoned church on top of Jay Mountain."

He paused and sinked the cigarette into his lips.

"W-what if..." Johnny began.

"What?" Dally turned to Johnny and exhaled the smoke.

"N-nevermind."

"Sure?" Dal asked as Johnny slightly
nodded and faced the ground.

"As soon as you get on, don't so much as stick your nose out, do I make myself clear?" Johnny and I nodded quickly.

"Alright," He pressed the cigarette in between his lips again. "Oh and one thing,"

"Y-yea?"

"Come back as soon as you can... Your older brothers'll kill me once they find out I gave you a hideaway."

I nodded. "Sure thing Dal." He gave a light grin and pulled away from the huddle of us three.

I stood up from the bed and headed for the staircase. "C'mon Johnny,"

Both followed me back downstairs. But before Johnny and I had even fled to the door, Dally tugged on my shoulder and pulled me to the side. "And kid, don't thank me just yet."

Dally then let me go. I stood there, slightly puzzled, slightly anxious.

My eyes grew wider, aware of what he might pick up on.